Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been monkeying with performance Holley carbs for over forty years. Just had a brass float sink! Parked the car for about two weeks after having driven it a 100 miles or so. Went to start it and it seemed to flood out right away. Pulled air cleaner and tried to restart. Had a geyser out the front bowl vent. Pulled the bowl and sure enough the float was full of fuel. Well, there is a first time for everything o_O

·
Premium Member
7,109 Posts
I've had several brand new brass floats fail in recent years. I'm to the point now where I'm installing new nitrophyl floats in pretty much every Holley I can.
Those leak too. They get pinholes in them. In fact, I've had so many of the nitrophyl floats fail that I prefer the brass floats.

I wonder if ethanol in our fuel causes the problems?

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Congratulations on 40 years before Murphy showed up! I always replace floats during a a rebuild but keep the old on on the shel in case I need an emergency spare.

Two things I never use to replace because they "never fail" but now I always do. Carb floats, points condensers.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,120 Posts
I've been using/building Holleys for over 40 years now, I have seen exactly 1 (one) leaky brass float. It was in my own carb in my dialy driver too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts