Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to go to a H.E.I. dist for my 454, from a points type.
Is it as easy as removing the dist. and coil and installing the HEI?
This may sound like a dumb question, but I have been away from it for a long long time and the rememberer isn't as good as it used to be. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Chevelles didn't use a ballast resistor. The cloth covered wire going to (+) coil is a resistive wire. From what I read about HEI conversions, you need the older vacuum advance style HEI.

·
Registered
461 Posts
John-Muha is correct. The actually stabbing in of the HEI is pretty straight forward the wiring of it isn't unless one really understands how the system works. I wired my HEI thru a relay as suggested by CJ Landry about two and a half years ago, has worked flawlessly BUT I did it in conjunction with an engine swap where I could get at everything at the time. A better solution is to go to "Tech reference page #5" Authored by Wes Vann that can be found if one scrolls down further on this site. Only problem that I find in that Tech Ref is that on my '67 I couldn't just plug into a fuse under the dash, so I went with the relay which allows a short 12 gauge wire going to the HEI.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It may take a little longer but looks good. I believe the cloth wire(Resistor wire)is only from the firewall bulk head connector out. Just remove your harness, split it, remove the cloth wire and replace it with a 10 gauge wire then retape the harness. Did with mine works great and other than the HEI looks right. Hope this helps, Rob

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
My reply was based on the info that my POS had a Mallory dual point and coil setup (old drag car). Sorry to mislead anyone. See my Post - "Ok Gurus"
Hey, anyone want a vintage late '60's Mallory dual point with mech. tach drive, and coil? I might throw the ancient Moroso mech. tach in with the deal!

[This message has been edited by John D (edited 08-05-2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.