Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to go to a H.E.I. dist for my 454, from a points type.
Is it as easy as removing the dist. and coil and installing the HEI?
This may sound like a dumb question, but I have been away from it for a long long time and the rememberer isn't as good as it used to be. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Very simple swap. Remove the old one and stab the HEI unit making sure the rotor is pointing the same direction as the old one. Don't forget to bypass the ballast resistor so that you get a full 12V to the HEI unit.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Chevelles didn't use a ballast resistor. The cloth covered wire going to (+) coil is a resistive wire. From what I read about HEI conversions, you need the older vacuum advance style HEI.

·
Registered
461 Posts
John-Muha is correct. The actually stabbing in of the HEI is pretty straight forward the wiring of it isn't unless one really understands how the system works. I wired my HEI thru a relay as suggested by CJ Landry about two and a half years ago, has worked flawlessly BUT I did it in conjunction with an engine swap where I could get at everything at the time. A better solution is to go to "Tech reference page #5" Authored by Wes Vann that can be found if one scrolls down further on this site. Only problem that I find in that Tech Ref is that on my '67 I couldn't just plug into a fuse under the dash, so I went with the relay which allows a short 12 gauge wire going to the HEI.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It may take a little longer but looks good. I believe the cloth wire(Resistor wire)is only from the firewall bulk head connector out. Just remove your harness, split it, remove the cloth wire and replace it with a 10 gauge wire then retape the harness. Did with mine works great and other than the HEI looks right. Hope this helps, Rob

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
My reply was based on the info that my POS had a Mallory dual point and coil setup (old drag car). Sorry to mislead anyone. See my Post - "Ok Gurus"
Hey, anyone want a vintage late '60's Mallory dual point with mech. tach drive, and coil? I might throw the ancient Moroso mech. tach in with the deal!

[This message has been edited by John D (edited 08-05-2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts