Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post a while back that mentioned a certain syncro that was really good. I think this was posted by DZAUTO. I was just wondering what these were and what the benefits of them were. I tried looking for the post but there is so many of them!

Also, anyone have any recommendations for shift forks for a muncie and where to get them?

------------------
1969 Caprice (It's not an Impala darnit!)
427/TH-400 (Soon to be M-20)
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105

1966 Caprice
396/325 TH-400
15.38 @ 97.4

Andy and Nick's Highway to Hell

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't know about any special syncros, as
DZAUTO just finished talking to me about a week ago on rebuilding my muncie. He has a friend that sells complete rebuild kits, and parts.
You can go to ebay, type in "Muncie" and there are all kind of parts for auction.
Just a thought, or get ahold of DZAUTO and get his friends name and number for rebuild kits.

G

·
There is only one type of syncro being made for the Muncie now. There was two, one for the early hubs which were thicker and required a thinner syncro and the one that is available now. The later hubs which measure around 1 inch use the thicker style syncros. They are availale without purchasing of the complete rebuild kit as are all the other parts in the Muncie. Send me an email if you want just the syncros or any other part.

------------------
Wally
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold #67
2001 Chevy Silverado LT
67 Malibu "Small Block" second owner
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"

·
Premium Member
16,949 Posts
Wally, I think what Lil'Crazy is referring to is a special synchro/ring avail from Fischer, for worn 3rd gears. Damn if I can remember the name of it, Torque-Synchro or something like that.

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
i have a muncie ??? too...what's a good aluminum case muncie 3 speed out of a 69 SS worth? just curious...make an offer if you need it...or should i keep it in my car? does it make my car worth anything?(it's kinda rare) i don't have a #s matching 396 so originality isn't a big deal to me. any opinion is appreciated.

------------------
Derek Kiefer
[email protected]
Derek69SS = AOL instant messenger

69 Chevelle SS 396/325hp 3spd man., 12-bolt 3.31 gears lemans blue, no engine
69 Chevelle Malibu 350/250hp, TH350, 10-bolt 2.56 gears, dark cloisonne met. (purplish blue)
23 Ford Model T runabout, stock 20hp 4cyl (i know it's a ford but it's still fun to drive...slowly)

"If it was really worth doing, i would have already done it"

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
The better slider for the Muncie, ESPECIALLY if yours ocassionally jumps out of gear (such as coasting in 2nd gear), is called a Tork Loc slider. I buy these from Larry Fischer frequently. I'm at work and don't have his number but you can probably do a search and find it, plus I will post it tonight. ALWAYS tell Larry that I referred you because he gives a discount to people that tell him. Of course if you are going to the trouble to tear a Muncie down far enough to replace the sliders, go ahead and install a rebuild kit. You won't be sorry.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. The torque-lock sliders are what I was referring to...I swore they were syncros, but I was wrong. I have already rebuilt my M-20, but wanted this info for future use.

------------------
1969 Caprice (It's not an Impala darnit!)
427/TH-400 (Soon to be M-20)
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105

1966 Caprice
396/325 TH-400
15.38 @ 97.4

Andy and Nick's Highway to Hell

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
Actually, the slider is a component of the synchronizer assembly.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.