Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This damn alternator is driving me nuts. I've been to auto zone,O'rileys,advanced auto and napa and noone can find my alterntor. its for 69 coupe w/307 the ones they keep bringing out of the box does not have a provision for the "L" bracket that bolts to the back of the alternator then uses a log bolt prob. 7" long to go through the "L" bracket and one of the alternator ears into the head. I found a number on the alternator and it looks like its "843 61A" but im not sure if this means anything other than 61 amp, I also found "1959455" on the back, but cant find anything showing thats a valid part #. anyone else had a problem this bad finding a replacement alternator. I could post a pic of the back of my old one if it would help. thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I think I know what you mean. It's probably due to all the part swapping done at the rebuilders. They don't care which pieces they use. My '72 350 doesn't have a lower bracket that attaches to the alternator. Lower bracket attached to the block. I can try and find you a different type of lower bracket to attach that alternator but can't do it until the weekend.
I wouldn't throw the old alternator out. It can be rebuilt.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
you could use the back half of yours on the rebuilt. Clean it up and swap over all the new parts and bolt it on.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I went to another advanced auto and the first one they set on the counter was the right one.
I was getting worried cause when I told the guy 69 chevelle he said who makes it, ford?? :eek: :mad: and he was serious.but atlast I got my alternator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts