Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '71 Malibu that was just converted to an SS. I purchased and installed a new SS dash with factory gauges and wire harness. Everything works except the following:

1. Fuel gauge
2. Amp gauge
3. Temp guage
4. Tac

Any suggestions? I've seen a few posts that suggest checking the ground wires. I have done that, but am not sure if the ground wires are in the correct spot.

I have not done any research on the tac yet. I installed an MSD distributor w/ 6A ingition box. Is this compatible with the factory tac? If so, is there anything special needed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
There should be 3 or 4 black ground wires with a loop terminal. Each metal gauge housing has to be grounded. Also one ground goes down to the emergency brake asssembly. Also check the fuse marked "GAUGES" in the fuse block.

Also did you change the forward lamp harness in the engine compartment?
AMP Gauge wiring is not included in a Malibu harness.

Did you hook up the brown (Tach wire) to the neg side of the coil? This is part of the under dash harness. Must drill a hole in the firewall near the gas pedal cable and push the wire thru. If you are using an MSD Ignition box, I believe the Tach wire gets plugged into the side of it. It is marked "Tach". Read your MSD directions.

In addition I believe you have to change the TEMP sender to a gauge sender.

Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info musclecarkid! I was able to get the tac to work, but I'm still having problems with the fuel gauge. I checked and do have the housing grounded. I'll install a new sensor for the temp and acquire a new harness for the amps.

Is there a way to test the fuel gauge? I connected a volt meter to the leds on the fuel gauge and am getting 10.24 volts. I'm not sure if that means anything or not. I'd appreciate any more suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did the fuel gauge work before you changed the dash?

If yes, check the connection to the rear body harness near the fuse block. Make sure the connection is clean and tight.

Disconnect the harness plug an find a tan wire in the connector marked "H" on the dash side of the harness plug.

Hook a test wire to the tan wire "H" in the plug and ground the other end of the test wire.

Watch the fuel gauge with the key on and see if the fuel gauge moves.

If so, you have a problem somewhere between the fuse block connection and the fuel tank sender.

If fuel gauge does not move, problem is in the gauge or dash harness or printed circuit.

Also could be the sender in the tank or broken ground wire from tank sender to body ground near the tank support brace.

Also check the harness connection near the back seat in the trunk on the left side.

Let me know how you make out.

musclecarkid

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just want to say this is a great series of postings on changing the dashes to a guage package. I'm planing on doing it, and I am starting to collect tidbits about the process. I take it then that when changing the dash harness, the engine harness should be changed also. I have the buckets and the console to put in also. Its a column shift automatic that I want to put on the floor. I have all the pieces to build this SS Clone(in need of reconditioning of course) But the dash I've looked at anxiously. This is a great website, and I'd like to see that particular conversion lined out in detail.Can anybody do it? Sno_mann

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the problem. The dash harness (brand new) had the tan wires crossed. I discovered this by accident when I pushed in the emergency brake and saw the fuel gauge drop to empty. The wire that connects to the emergency brake switch is also tan. I switched the tan wires at the at the connector that plugs into the dash and fixed my problem. I spent spent several hours on this! Thanks for all your information musclecar kid!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The harness is brand new along with the gauge cluster. I ordered them from The Parts Place Inc. The harness was shipped directly from Factory Fit. Somebody is getting a call today about this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts