Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little power resistor on the back of my stock SS 69 guage for oil pressure has a break in the (I assume) nichrome wire. Anyone know if I can get this part? Or know of a good place to send it? I really don't want to send it off as I think this is all it needs. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Fuel and temp gages use the same resistor up through the late 70s, so I'll pick those up at the junkyard. I'm not sure if 70s cars/trucks use the same one for oil. Maybe someone knows for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'll hit the junk yards this weekend. I measured 90 ohms on the fuel and temp resistors, does anyone know for sure if the oil pressure is the same value? By the way, this is a great site! Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Yes, the 69 oil pressure gauge has a 90 ohm resistor. It's a wire wound resistor the resistors you are likely to find in a yard will be white ceramic with a color strip on one side covering the resistance material. The yellow resistor will be around 90 ohms. Yellows are not as common as red, ltblue, dkblue and orange. A good source is GM trucks. If you don't find one let me know I have some even the wire wound.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by 70GS455:
Why not go to Radio Shack and get a 90 0hm resistor with the proper power handling rating?
That would work but they would be a pain to fit behind the gage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went there first looking for resistance wire and/or a resistor, but they don't have power resistors. I don't know what the power dissipation requirements are for these guage resistors either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts