Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally located a complete gauge cluster for our 69 SS. The price was right but now I need to send them off for restoration and calibration. Can anyone recommend a good, reputable shop that does gauge restoration?

By the way guys, thanks! I learn more from just reading in here than any book I've found yet. THANKS

Pat
Arlington, Texas

------------------

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had D&M restoration do mine. I'm not very happy with the quality of work!

They painted the guages gloss black, should be simi-gloss. They said they calibrated all of the gauges but the gas gauge doesn't work.

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / Modified 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

www.chevelles.com/showroom/elkydriveway1.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dale,

I can't thank you enough! Believe it or not, I was going to call them today for shipping instructions. You may have saved me some grief. I must say, I was a bit leery in that they have yet to reply to any of my e-mails. Thanks for the help. Course now I need another source. Pat

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just sent mine to D&M 2 weeks ago..

I had done a search here and they turned out to have plenty of good reviews. I also got several emails from folks saying they had done good work. sorry about that cardiac. Now I'm worried abit.. I'll report as soon as they come back.

I also heard www.williamsons.com was good as well.

I should have mine back in a few weeks..

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Sent my stuff out to D&M and it turned out great
Cardiac are you sure your sender is working?
Maybe you're out of gas

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Hey Ya'll watch this...."

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't have any firsthand experience with them yet but I've heard good things about Clockdoc. www.clockdoc.net

------------------

Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
-------------------------
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to achieve a measure of 'safety' deserve neither freedom nor safety."

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Hey 4spdrat, I tried calling the tachman for 2 weeks straight a while back and got a busy signal every time I called. Itried several times a day with no luck. I just assumed they were out of business or something.
Anyone have a good '66 tach for sale?

------------------
Tom Wood
Gold Member #66
Looking forward to getting my cars restification to the point where I don't have to answer the question "What is it?" anymore!

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
TW, I had problems as well when I called before, but seemed like a very nice guy when I did finally speak to him. I think he's a small operation, which certainly doesn't justify not getting through, but explains it somewhat.

------------------
Dan Orgill

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Who ever you use get a time estimate for the repairs. I used the Tach Man for my radio and it took 6 months. The radio works ok but not happy with the delay.

Rene
66_Malibu

[This message has been edited by shooter (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Just got my tach & gauges back from Instrument Services in Roscoe, IL. They look good, but I don't know if they work or not, since I'm a long way from having the car in running condition. I have used them a couple times before, and they did a good job on both gage and clock repair.

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"Doing my part to help the disadvantaged - My Chevelle was for sale by a blatant liar. Didn't trust him, so I hired a blind man to inspect it before I bought it."
My low tech web page

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I do this service for local Chevelle nuts but mostly 70-72. You are close enough(I live in Garland)to come by and see a couple I just completed. I will email you my #. Give me a call.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
13 Posts
D&M is one of my competitors and i have been in their shop. Mike specializes in corvettes and really does not know a lot about chevelles. i have owned 24 1966-73 chevelles, 30 of them 1970's. I know every nut and bolt, you can try me, tachman, and i think you will like my work. look at www.tachman.com/gm.htm look at the hi tech calibration equipement i have installed to update my shop. My new tech is a wiz and we are here to help.
try us, you will like us
tachman at h&h auto

·
Registered
13 Posts
tachman here:
know these about a fuel guage, 2 ohms is empty, 90 ohms is full. fuel guages rarely go bad, check the calibration resistor or if the tank is grounded. the sending unit in the tank is nothing but a float that moves up and down on a variable resistor, values above. if the gauge reads full all the time then no ground or the sending unit is corroded and bad.
tachman

1 - 20 of 22 Posts