Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me at what points the short ground straps go? I have a 65 Chevelle 327 and I think there should be 3 straps.

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
You will only have three if your car had a radio installed. In the unlikely event your car had no radio at all, it would have only two grounding straps.

The two main straps attach to the rear lower valve cover bolts and then to the firewall. The radio-installed-only strap is very short and connects the passenger side inner fender to the frame rail. The proper location is right under the battery tray and there should already be a small hole in the frame rail which helps you find the proper location.

Additional grounding is accomplished by a small wire from the negative battery cable which connects to the radiator support.

An additional grounding device for radio equiped cars includes a brass star wheel installed inside the passenger side front wheel hub which grounds the spindle to the lug bolt hub. It is intended to disappate static electricity which accumulates by the turning wheels.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
YesterYears Chevys #52949
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

[This message has been edited by Rich-L79 (edited 05-26-2001).]

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you have an assembly manual, they show this in there. My 66 manual shows a 4th one if the car had an AM/FM radio and only 3 with an AM radio.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Registered
400 Posts
Instead of posting this same topic at a later date, I also would like to ask the proper locations for the 3 ground straps on a 72 Malibu 307. Thanks in advance, Deejay

------------------
Dennis Jones TC Member#940 72 Malibu Project

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
No ground straps at all in a '72??!! I'm shocked (no pun intended) to say the least. Have either of you checked a 1972 Chevelle assembly Manual? (Not to doubt you John, just suprised
)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coppertop:
No ground straps at all in a '72??!! I'm shocked (no pun intended) to say the least. Have either of you checked a 1972 Chevelle assembly Manual? (Not to doubt you John, just suprised
)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe
Checked the manual? Nah, that involved reading, thinking and, getting smart. I cheat and open the hood. Was no ground straps in there the day I drove it home from the dealer. Keep saying the 72 is a little odd. BTW, still haven't seen a true 72 TCS solenoid to check it out. Still think those are backwards also. Gone past Tuesday again.
Later
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts