Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are no ground straps from the engine to the firewall in my '70 Chevelle. From searching this site I know there should be but I don't know exactly where they are supposed to be located. I don't know if it makes any difference but the engine is a 454. Can anyone help, please?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Don't be so sure about the ground straps. My 70 was ordered by me and delivered new in July of 1970, and there were NEVER any engine to firewall or body to chassis ground straps.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My 72, 350, no air, no FM came off the lot with no engine ground straps. Haven't needed them since 1971.

·
Registered
272 Posts
IIRC, their only purpose is suppression of noise in the radio, as long as you've got a good ground to the body elsewhere.

Reid

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yes make sure you at least have a ground wire off the negative battery terminal to the fender.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Originally posted by Steve S:
Yes make sure you at least have a ground wire off the negative battery terminal to the fender.
Well, technically , that's not am actual ground "strap" (copper braided), but a pigtail lead from the negative battery terminal to the fender. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pigtail from the battery ground to the fender was not connected so I did connect it. Thanks again for all of the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts