Team Chevelle banner

Ground problem I dont understand

584 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  John_Muha 
#1 ·
I was wiring up a relay today on my chevelle for an electric fan and was having some problems. ive wired up many relays before with no problems but for some reason the only way I could get this relay to work was if I ran the grounds (from the fan and the relay) directly to the battery, I have never had any problems drilling a good tight clean ground someplace on the body but after trying a few different places (bare metal spot on the frame rail, bare metal on floor pan) the only way I could get it to work was to go to the negative on the battery can anyone explain to why? I don't understand it

Thanks

#3 ·
John, I do ill try that, but was hoping to just be able to run it to the frame rail or something

Thanks

#5 ·
The relay works because the fan is working fine right now, but the ground is hooked to the negitive on the battery, I will try the other spots you suggested tonight but still cant see why the clean metal spot on the floor pan didnt work

#6 ·
Originally posted by Hot66ss:
...but still cant see why the clean metal spot on the floor pan didnt work
Neither can I. That's why I'm asking you to check and see if the body (sheetmetal) ground is attached and if the relay works off that point. If it doesn't work you have some problem with the small strap to the right fender. If it does work, there may be some reason why the right fender isn't grounding the main cab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.