Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what the best way to grind the welds on a quarter skin I am using a 4 inch grinder with a grinding wheel but it seem to be a little narly. I am afraid to hit the body line on the skin. Is there anything smaller and more flexible??

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
The welds can't be very large, correct? On small welds in thin sheet metal I use a right angle grinder with a 2" disc, 80 grit abrasive on a flexible rubber backer to get the big stuff. I then come back over the area with a DA sander and 180 grit again on a flexible backer. As with anything you develop a finesse in order to get the right touch. When you go with a small disc you can easily gouge.

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
I use the edge of a 3" cutoff wheel to get most of it & finish it up with a right angle air grinder with a 2" 80 grit disc. Keeps the heat down.

LK

·
Registered
433 Posts
I like a 120 grit flap disk on my angle grinder. I use that where i can but if i need something smaller i use my dremmel with a cut off wheel or grinding stone.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I agree with the 3" cutoff wheel on a die grinder. When resting your arm and/or hand on the piece you are grinding, you have complete control of where you are grinding and the amount of heat generated - easy to avoid blue metal.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Your 4" disc will quickly ruin metal not just the heat factor but also due to you removing a large amount of metal at the same time. Ive seen panels flat out destroyed with 4" angle grinders, that tool has NO use in or around the auto body repair business.

A 3" cutoff wheel used just to kiss the weld bead leaving just a proud bead behind is all you want to do. Then come back with a 3" rolec type disc with 50 grit to dress the weld finishing the weld bead off and a slight blending into the parent metal.

The 3" wheel is 3/16 thick and made for grinding welds. I use a 2" or 3" disc with 50 grit depending on space limitations, those two tools is all you need to smooth welds, with some practice you can finishing them off too the point of not being able to see the weld at all...Eric

·
Registered
650 Posts
I use a 90 degree air angle grinder with a course roloc. Not the sandpaper type, the type that resemble a scuff pad.

The course ones will grind a weld down in a much more civilized manner, a little slower than the sanding ones with a little less heat. I would have never guessed you could grind a weld with these things, and while they will wear, it's not as fast as you'd suspect.

Because it's slower you have more control and can smooth things out easier. I LOVED using those Rolocs scuff pads. AWESOME...I wish I had discovered them earlier.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.