Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning .

Thanks for letting us new guys in. I'm sure I'll be posting some seemingly "Dumb" questions but bear with me. I've only recently been bitten by the "Chevelle Bug" .

Seems to be quiet serious. I drove 6hrs Monday to look at a '70 SS(?) body shell. Didn't buy yet but that is why I'm here I suppose. Looks fairly solid but the body is in primer. The seller said 1/4's were replaced but the job was not in my opinion 1st rate.

Advertised as a 396/375 SS ,but how do I tell? No engine or trans , Bench seat , Round gage cluster (no tach) Bench seat interior is fairly complete but all needs to be replaced. Original A/C car .

What is it worth? What components are critical to a restoration that are not available in repro?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Welcome Tn......a misplaced Tennessean here.....living in Florida. What part of Tn are you in???
The folks on here are the best, I'm somewhat new too and everyone is eager to assist. My first guess is that they will point out the dash and possible the bench seat as you have figured are dead giveaways (in most cases). The body and serial id's are the quickest way to check. I'd want to start at 2,000.00 and pending quality of body and more important .........Parts, trim etc.. ALL there and in good shape???? Look at the trim inside and out, and imagine new paint on the car new headliner and seat covers and carpet......and ask yourself "would this car look good with that done and this (quality) trim to finish out. Buying a car with missing parts is the easiest way to get disappointed.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Hello and welcome Scott. Factory A/C cars never had the 396-375 engine. The 375 engine is a solid lifter, high RPM engine and therefore GM never put A/C together with that engine. The LS6 454-450 is in the same situation, not possible with A/C.

Clarify shell. What is remaining?

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
Scott,
The only way to tell if the car is a true SS is the build sheet. They put them under the back in the seat spings, in the door panels and even sometimes in under the head liner. Some clues are the vin needs to be 13670--- for a V8 car. If the car was built in Canada you can order the build sheet 13670(1) other wise they ae not available for U.S. cars. The front grill should be black with no vertical stainless piece in the middle of the grill. The front turn signals in the front bumper are clear with amber bulbs. No stainless rocker panels under the doors on the sides and no drum brakes up front. You need to remember all of these items can be changed. There is an article out there called "How to tell a true SS car". I sure with the help of this group someone know if its on this site. The question you need to ask is what is your intention for the car. Are you going to use it for cruises and weekend shows or is it going to be a trailer queen and you buying it for investment reasons? In any case take the plunge you won't regret it
Happy motoring
Ray:yes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the replies!
I'm in upper east TN . Near Johnson City.

Clarification of shell, All exterior sheet metal is there.Windows there ,windshield cracked , front and rear bench there. Hump hood but is not the cowl induction one. No bumpers ,but the dash is the round gages. A/C controls are in place .

The part of the 1/4 's that really backed me off was the fit of the outer wheelhouse . He also sais floors were solid but they had pinholes.the trunk was locked but I could feel rust in the panel that turns up in the back .

What are my plans for a car...Weekend cruiser . Reliable,streetable enough for a 2-300 mile trip . Matching #'s are not a must. I have been leaning toward the idea of a GM Crate 454 or 502 with a th400 or a late model OD. A/C probable.

Asking price was $5500.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Hey Scott, sounds like rust might be an issue. I'm dealing with it now and it ain't fun. Be careful!
What part of E.TN are you in?? I'm in E. KY on the TN border.
BTW welcome!!:D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
welcome again New2GM, Johnson City is a beautiful area. I lived in Knox, for 2 years and loved it......took a promotion to Dallas and was there for 18 yrs.
Sounds to me like your on the right track in the analysis of the ride....but 5500.00 sounds to me like he thinks he's selling the next Barrett Jackson top dollar auction car??????
Assess a "retail" dollar value to everything you found, as if you paid someone else to do every stitch of the reconstruction ....and then decide if it is worth it.......as a complete car.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Welcome!!! Nice to see you are looking at a 70. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,749 Posts
I'm from McNairy County, TN. Buford Pusser territory. Now living in Fla.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome Scott, the chevelle you have been looking at sounds overpriced, I think the seller is just trying to make a quick buck, and listing it as an 70 SS 396/375 HP proves it. I would look elsewhere. There are still good deals out there, just take your time before you buy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts