Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer selling this '70 is claiming the green-with-a-red-interior was the original color combination this Chevelle was born with. I couldn't believe anyone would order a car this way, and lo and behold, this car was originally born with a green interior (795 trim code) per the trim tag.

Whoever did the resto must have really liked this color combo. I would have gone one step further and painted the car black...probably a much easier sell.

Pretty clean looking '70 in any case.

1970 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
798 Posts
I like it in weird way

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
At least the color coordinated the tires to match. Jim

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
I dig this car. I recall it very well from when we discussed it Hank. I like different. Would love this car as a driver, but would prefer a 4spd. Great car. Price: ugh.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
Tony, I agree with you on this one. I love red interiors and although Forest Green is not a favorite of mine, I dont mind it. But they dont mix. Black would be a much better choice. At present it is a three color car. In my opinion a three color car is hard to pull off. This one is not the exception.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The Chevy dealer I worked for a long time ordered and sold a 69 camaro orange with a green interior. Crazy things happened. GM would build odd combinations back then.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
It is good to challenge your long-held assumptions and beliefs.

Some weird examples of combos that actually look better than you would think:
Gold with dark green interior,
Daytona Yellow with dark green,
Butternut yellow with turquoise interior,
Emerald Turquoise with yellow interior (67 Camaro). All were factory blessed.

There was a surprisingly sharp 77 Trams Am ordered in bright yellow with bright red velour interior. I know, yech right? When the car arrived at the dealer and people saw it they could have sold it 4 times over.

There was a 67 Canadian Pontiac 2+2 built in the K-code Emerald Turquoise with a factory override bright red interior. It sounds awful and it is a bit weird, but if you have ever looked at Indian saris then you will see that type of pairing with high contrast that actually seems to work on a certain level. Let's not forget the Butternut Yellow 69 Beaumont with white roof and red interior that was sent as a new car to Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ah,

The Christmas Chevelle (as I affectionately referred to it) was Sold and Bought at Mecum, Kissimmee 2017 for I believe as someone said, $ 27,500.

Appeared to be an older resto. Not perfect but definitely a nice car.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,417 Posts
Ah,

The Christmas Chevelle (as I affectionately referred to it) was Sold and Bought at Mecum, Kissimmee 2017 for I believe as someone said, $ 27,500.

Appeared to be an older resto. Not perfect but definitely a nice car.
Boy that's the third Mecum Auction that cars been at. It said it sold for $26k at Kissimmee 2017, sold for $27,500 at Harrisburg 2015, high bid of $24,000 at Dallas 2015. In the pictures you can see the pleats in the passenger side door panel are all popping.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
The Chevy dealer I worked for a long time ordered and sold a 69 camaro orange with a green interior. Crazy things happened. GM would build odd combinations back then.
I had a friend that also had a 69 camaro with an odd color combo per the trim tag. It was hugger orange with yellow houndstooth interior. I thought it was some kind of mistake, but I had the guys on the camaro site verify the tag was real and untampered with.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Tony, I agree with you on this one. I love red interiors and although Forest Green is not a favorite of mine, I dont mind it. But they dont mix. Black would be a much better choice. At present it is a three color car. In my opinion a three color car is hard to pull off. This one is not the exception.

Yes, 3-color car, different- by all means. "Hard to pull off", I don't know, it's sold several times for well over 20K in the last few years. I would be into this car with a stick as a street sleeper. Agree, a color like black would jive with that interior, but that's part of what makes it different and it stands out from the norm. Love the redlines.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
When I look at the car, I see that the headrest locks are facing the wrong way. Meaning the seats were originally from a 1969, or the headrests themselves were from a 1969. On a 70-72 bucket seat the headrest locks must face the opposite way than they are on this car in order to work properly. 69 headrests had the adjustment notches on the inside of the headrest posts. 70-72 had them on the outside of the posts. The SS dash housing is a reproduction piece. The ad says that it has a factory tach, but the tach in the car is a reproduction tach for a big block car. A small block car had a 5,000 RPM redline, not a 5,500 RPM red line. The whole gauge cluster may possibly be a reproduction piece. The rally wheels are not the stock size for a 70 Malibu. If it really came with a red interior wouldn't the carpet, dash, console and steering column be red as other cars had that were ordered with red interiors? Does this car have a REAL POP and a REAL trim tag. Both these items are being reproduced.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think it is a nice car. If it was mine I would just change the upholstery and door panels to black......easy fix since everything else is already black on the inside.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,709 Posts
I think someone mentioned the trim tag says green int., red or black ext. is the only way I would buy a red int. car, but like some say there is a a$$ for every seat.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
If it really came with a red interior wouldn't the carpet, dash, console and steering column be red as other cars had that were ordered with red interiors? Does this car have a REAL POP and a REAL trim tag. Both these items are being reproduced.[/quote]

FWIW I think Tony said in the opening post that it was originally a 795 Green interior car.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out Troy. Clears that up. I guess I over looked what Tony said. Made my comment just based on the ad. I guess my point being. This is just a home built car. Just the way the builder wanted it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts