Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little green light went out, what does that mean?

My battery went dead thanks to a dome light I forgot to turn off overnight. I used my battery charger to give the car life again. Well the car seems to start and run fine. Just no green light.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold
1965 406 6speed
1998 Tahoe LT 4x4

·
Registered
59 Posts
Give the battery a 'whack'on the side with the palm of your hand.That "green light" is just a ball that has not floated back to where it should be when the battery is fully charged.This is of course if your sure the battery is indeed charged back up.If the indicator is light colored or yellow then the battery is no good.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Mine used to go out after the car would sit for a week or two (before I rewired). It would still crank the car and after driving it for a while it would turn green again.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 1-9-02)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
4,762 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
Even those so called 'maintenance free' batteries can need water. If you overcharge it you can boil out some of the electrolyte. Some cells will be low while others are O.K. The green eye could be in the cell that is prone to being low. Even sealed batteries have vents in them and the water will evaporate slowly through them. If you are the sort that hangs tea bags on the clothes line, you may also be a candidate for peeling back the stick-on cover that will allow access to the individual cells. Top it off with distilled water and charge it at a low rate. At a certain point you have to throw in the towel and buy a new one. My white Delco Green Eye is >10 years old and is fine. Next time I'll spring for a repro Delco R59.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Battery is about 5 months old and happens to be a Delco. Worked fine all day today. Drove 100+ miles and made at least 10 stops and starts, still no light. Tommorow I will check the water level. But how do I get the top off?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You should be able to see the level by looking at the side of the case.The case is 'translucent'.That is unless the case is black!I doubt a 5 month old battery is low on fluid unless the case is cracked and leaking.Did you give it a whack like I said earlier?Like I said that is just a green ball floating around in there and maybe it's stuck and won't float back to the top.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Whatever the case, ya'll gotta remember that the green eye is showing the condition of only one cell of the battery. The other five cells could be totally dead(shorted), but still have the green eye on the one good cell.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked my battery this afternoon and the little green light is back and really bright thanks to a good wack on the side of the case. Thanks guys, problem solved

1 - 9 of 9 Posts