Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, but couldn't find anything related to my issue... Here goes!

Just installed a new ElCheapo 4 spoke 14" Grant wheel and used the correct adapter kit (3196). The hub has been installed correctly but now I get a grinding noise and very noticable resistance on the wheel when turing. The noise sounds like it may be coming from the area where the cam area of the signal mechanicals are. The old wheel didn't have the issue. I have tore the wheel off, inspected and reassembled 3 times now with no luck!

Anyone else ever have a grinding issue with the grant adapter hubs?

At this point I'm ready to start grinding on the hub to gain some clearance...:(

Thanks

Edit: This is on my 71 Sprint!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
you might try loosening the clamp under the dash that holds the column. then move the column toward the floor just enough to provide the needed clearance.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
If you are talking about the chrome ring (cover) just under the steering wheel, it is probably rubbing on the colume itself. What I did was put a washer under it to make sure the chrome ring and the colume do not touch.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are talking about the chrome ring (cover) just under the steering wheel, it is probably rubbing on the colume itself. What I did was put a washer under it to make sure the chrome ring and the colume do not touch.
I checked the ring behind the wheel and it clears ok. It sounds like something in the column itself.

I'll check the location of the column this afternoon and see if that helps.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mine grinds as well. I suspect it is rubbing the outer edge of the column but I haven't dug into it yet to determine the actual cause.
I used all the correct Grant parts for the application.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a follow up for what the solution was.

I moved the column towards the front of the car little, but that did not help so I put the column back where it was.

After ripping the wheel off one more time I decided to try removing the dust cover that screws (3 screws) to the lock plate. Reinstalled the wheel, problem solved! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Had the same problem - same solution!
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts