Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a GPS for my parents but I am not up to speed on all the models.

Requirements:
1. Easy to use
2. Intuitive menus, minimal menu levels (see #1)
3. Minimal features (see #1)
4. Reasonable cost -Max $100 if possible, would consider a little more if there was a compelling reason.
5. On road use only

Preferrably not a Magellan, unless it is a clear winner. Just not happy enough with mine to want to buy another.
Dash mount/window suction cup preferred unless there is a different recommended option. Not hand held only.
No requirements to link to any other devices
Screen size not important, but bigger is better of course.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I have a couple of Garmins, one I had to send back a couple of times but Garmin took good care of me.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
TomTom here also - Base model and I love the thing. I always joke with the wife that I hope nothing ever happens to it while we are on a trip because I will have no idea how to get home. Everyone in the car is just yacking untill "Lola" speaks up - Point & shoot.

LK

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got my wife a Tom Tom (on sale for about $120 for a nice model with "lifetime maps and traffic"), and she is able to use it.

No offense to her, but she can't read a map, and if she can use it, anybody can use it.

Never touched it myself, so can't say more.

- Eric

·
Administrator
15,816 Posts
I have the TomTom also. Lifetime maps and live traffic updates, model XL-350. I use it everyday to find the job sites I need to go to as well as for personal use.

·
Banned
7,910 Posts
I prefer to use a DAGR coupled together with a Blue Force Tracker...:D

On another note, I've had multiple gps units...

Magellan, Tom Tom, garmin...

I keep going back to google maps on my iPhone....

for your parents...garmin nuvi...

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Rand mcnally truckers atlas, I have had a couple of those gps things and they are always losing signal or getting lost or being confused,I will never buy one again!

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
4,994 Posts
I've been shopping around for a GPS. One thing I noticed is that most are cheaper at Best Buy, Amazon or Walmart than on Ebay.
James

Yep...We got a Garmin 255W for our daughters boyfriend...bought from Walmarts internet site and shipped to his dorm in Missouri with lifetime maps and a 3 year extended warranty for $80

We love our Garmin 255w!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yep...We got a Garmin 255W for our daughters boyfriend...bought from Walmarts internet site and shipped to his dorm in Missouri with lifetime maps and a 3 year extended warranty for $80

We love our Garmin 255w!
Got a Garmin 255w Like it so much got the wife one for Christmas

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Got my wife a Magellan last year.
5 inch screen, lifetime maps and traffic alerts, highway lane assist, and a voice that tells her, turn by turn, the names of the streets to turn on.
Works perfectly. So easy even my blonde wife can use it.

-Greg

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I've had a chance to try out my new Garmin 1300 a few times now. The only problem I have with it is that it will take me one route going somewhere and a different one leaving. I'm not sure if this is common with GPS units or not. It;s not a big issue as long as it gets me where I'm going.
James

1 - 20 of 21 Posts