Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full gauge cluster are they worth getting?
Are they relieable (accurate) i've got a 67SS and didn't know if they be worth the money and effort to find/get? any comments would help
Thanks

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, I'll take a stab at this. You DID say any comments would help. I don't know much about chevelle full gauge clusters, but I do know about 67 Impala full gauge clusters. I also own a 67 malibu and have considered the guage question.
Whether or not the conversion is "worth" it to you is something only you can decide.
Here are some things to consider.

1. You will be changing your car from original. I assume this is ok with you. I also assume you will be including a blinker tach.

2. If you keep the original will you add aftermarket guages? If so will you get the $150 and up quality tach or the $49 cheapo from Summit? How do you feel about guages hanging down under your dash and a tach on your steering column? Some people like it because thats just the way we did it back in 1967 - more nostalgic. Will you insist on the expensive fluid filled state of the art guages or will you settle for the less expensive groups.

3. Buying a used cluster means buying old guages that may not be accurate. Are you willing to have them checked or repaired?

4. I'm not sure on chevelles but on the Impala a guage cluster requires a different wiring harness for $150 or the brains and skill to modify the original.

5. You will have to buy new sending units at least for the oil and run the line.

6. Are you going to modify any other part of the interior? Center consoles can be modified to look great with aftermarket guages. I have an extra dash that someone modified to have guages put into the radio opening. Thats not for me but I don't mind someone else doing it.

I just lost a bid for a VERY RARE guage cluster for a 67 Impala on eBay. After the price got up to $317 it was just more than I can justify. You can do almost anything if you throw enough money at it. How much you want to spend is up to you. Hope this helps. Its fun to dream of this sort of thing. Now that's a good idea - I think I open a topic of dreaming in Bench Racing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GaryB
Thanks for the comments
1. I know this will be changing the car from original (warning lights) and yes this is ok with me.
2. I plan to get a blinker tach from one of the resto companies (OPG or Year 1) I also plan on getting new harneses down the road.
3. If i find a cluster i will get them checked and or recalibrated.
4. You brought up a good point about the gauges that hang under the dash about being nostalgic. ( I just saw a sweet 67SS in super chevy mag that had factory gauges and after market gauges hanging under the dash)
5. As far as other parts of the interior i plan on making the car look original or like i would want it if I went to the dealer that year and ordered me a 67SS (time travel wouldn't that be great
)
6. I was just wandering if the factory one would be good enough to use on a weekend/run to the store kind of car?
Anyone else having comments I would like to hear them good or bad

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.