Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, really more like I just want another car to drive before the '66 may snowball into a full resto as they do sometimes.

So my best bang for buck options are, I think that are in the 20K range are:
2002 SS camaro
2002 corvette
2004 cobra mustang which probably is not be an option as they are rare around here and nice ones are closer to 30K or higher.
A couple things i've been pondering...

I was thinking the vette would be easier to mod/work on as the motor is very accessible with clamshell hood and right out front vs camaro is a ways back under firewall and also motor extraction on camaro is cradle drop also.
Vette is soooo low to get in/out but does it corner a lot better but with a sacrifice in overall ride smoothness etc.

So I was wondering what you guys thought and if anyone has owned either or both of the bowties listed above??
Thx,
D

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
Darren, when I get into used sales, its ALWAYS about Prior Owner ( PO) care to me . All three are nice platforms, and you may not have the data I would seek, as in service records etc.

PS if you are not over 60, and have a sensitivity to age, dont get a Vette. The youngin's think they're OLD MAN cars. ;) Camaro or Cobra then.

I would choose the one I could most easily make into a track car. Which I beleive would be the "old man" Vette. Hey, I can hit Watkins Glen a few times a year and actually air it out legally! I wish Porsche Boxsters had more ballz, they're in the same ball park price wise. Very fun to drive , but I need more straightline G's.

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
With similar things in mind, Corvette was my choice. I bought a 2006 Z06 with a built LSX-427 iron block, reworked heads, cam, exhaust, and tuned to 511rwhp about a month ago for $19k... 120k miles, salvage title, some ugly stripes, and a little rough around the edges, but it's a LOT of fun to drive for the money.

Crazy thing is, I think it's probably increased in value by 3-5k in that month... inflation is effecting Corvette pricing VERY quickly. A year ago, that $20k would buy a NICE CLEAN LS3/M6 C6. Today, $20k will only buy high-mileage LS2 cars if you can even find one of those... C5s that were $12k last year are $18k now.

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,948 Posts
As partial as I am to the 02 Camaro SS wheels, I'd vote vette. Easier to work on, better handling, huge aftermarket support, better interior, better resale..

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
779 Posts
I would have to inquire as to your intent with a purchase,... is it to drive and enjoy,... is it going to become a racer, ....is it going to become another money pit ??? Your $$$$$, your choice...Oh, don't forget the '66.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
My vote is for Vette as well. My only drawback is what Gene mentioned about 'OLD MAN cars'. That is until it blows that young kids doors off ! Which would be the only way I would buy a vette. with a minimum of 700hp. Buy it and slap a procharger and tune on.

Mike

Reactions: 427L88

·
Registered
122 Posts
As an owner of an '03 Cobra (Terminator) I can tell you it is absolutely one of my favorite cars.... It is very raw and not at all refined, every time you drop the hammer on it you think it wants to kill you....

I've taken this thing on various road trips (WI to the Dragons Tail, to the NC Outer Banks) and it is a pretty great roadcar.
Of the ones you have listed, it will no doubt be the most collectible. I paid 20K for mine (5) years ago, and examples like mine (Sonic Blue, Coupe, basically stock with the exception of JLT intake and MGW shifter and 50K) are bringing mid to high 20's now.

They are a total cult classic car and I get offers all the time on it.... find one, buy it, have fun and sell it for more than you bought it for..... win-win..... :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Or if the cash is burning too hot you can always send it to me???? I know I know...never mind LOL

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
They are a total cult classic car and I get offers all the time on it.... find one, buy it, have fun and sell it for more than you bought it for..... win-win..... :)
If the prospect of investment weighs in on the decision, I'd look heavily at Pontiac's RWD offerings.

98-02 WS6 Trans-Am has skyrocketed in value over the past few years, and I think clean ones will continue to climb.
04-06 GTO is at the bottom of its value now, and will soon start to climb.
08-09 G8 GT is pretty much bottomed out also, and I'd expect those to soar in value in a few years... The G8 GXP has never really dropped in value, so they're still quite a bit more than your $20k budget.

I use and abuse my junk too much to worry about future value though...

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I’ve said it a few times in the past, the 04-06 GTO is so under appreciated. Test drive one before you get anything. They handle great and are super comfortable. Mine has a supercharger and methanol injection. Too much fun!!!

Reactions: 427L88 and Monkey

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think your comments have made me think a few things.

I do feel sort of bad for my old friend after driving like an a-hole, aggressively running it till the rev limiter, speed shifting etc after wards, but also know it will happen again.

I had a 1990 fox body with all the bolt-ons that was fun, I drove it like a 2-stroke dirtbike/beat it like a rented mule.

So I'd like to have a car that I don't really care much about and if it breaks it is more of an opportunity to build back better (In a performance way rather than a Communist lefty way)😁

I also like the Cobras a lot but they are almost at the point value/rarity wise where they shouldn't be modded and abused.

Not trying to offend anyone here just my opinion but,
Some Pontiacs are a bit of an acquired taste looks wise but I think I would like to own a WS6 T/A.
Gto's are a little too bar of soap for me.
G8 is 4 door which maybe the best choice for practicality as far as road trips go but not too appealing to me.

Camaro is probably nice enough that I may feel love for it enough to not like abusing it.

A higher mileage C5 vette is probably a good choice for ease of modding and for hooligan activity without guilt, plus there are a couple of road course type of tracks with 16 turns, elevation changes, 300kmh straight aways, type deals being built within a 1 1/2 hour drive so, blower, cage/harness, big tires and away we go....

If I crash and survive get another car switch the go fast parts and drive better next time. No insurance on the track so less money is better.

What do you think??

·
Registered
688 Posts
Since your looking at Termi’s why not a Lightning? Gives use of a pickup truck bed and I loved mine until I recently sold it due to have three kids now

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I do like lightnings, they are fun rides but I have a '17 Tundra that hauls motorcycles, tools, camping gear, and is our road trip rig so it's the 1 truck in the family for now plus lighnings don't work too well in the snow.😋
Also uncommon/rare as the termi's as you call 'em.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,101 Posts
Mid to late 80's Camaro/Firebird/ TransAm 5 spd build a nice sbc and beat on it, they handle good and I think they're still not too expensive, I had an 84 T/A T tops mild built SB Borg Warner 5 spd that handled great with 275 low profile tires all around, or a 5.0 Fox body, I realize these aren't on the list but something to think about, save some $ for the 66 :)

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
GTOs are a bar of soap. But I;ve always been a"sleeper" kinda guy. Saw an SS run 5.30 in the 1/8. I can make the GTO do the same thing with prodigious boost and E85!

Ho-friggin' -HUM looks tho. I can look past that for a 10second ride with AC and a sub woofer!

My neighbor sold his GTO w.o even bouncing it off me. Now he has a Stang. I'd take the Stang when he offs it I told him. .

Same drill, boost the tar out of it and AOD/rear upgrades. Go racing. Maybe even at Watkins Glen, and not just the local drag strips.

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Not trying to offend anyone here just my opinion but,
Some Pontiacs are a bit of an acquired taste looks wise but I think I would like to own a WS6 T/A.
Gto's are a little too bar of soap for me.
G8 is 4 door which maybe the best choice for practicality as far as road trips go but not too appealing to me.
My wife's daily driver is a cammed G8 GT, which is pretty awesome for a family car, but... it's a family car.
She has tried autocrossing it and drag racing it... it's a big heavy car, and will never be great at either. It hauls our 3 kids to grandma's house comfortably, and clicks off 13.0s at 109mph. Sure beats a minivan. :)

A lot of G8 owners treat them as their babies, but honestly I couldn't... if I was going to have something I couldn't use and abuse, it wouldn't be a 13 year old 4000 lb 4-door sedan.

A higher mileage C5 vette is probably a good choice for ease of modding and for hooligan activity without guilt, plus there are a couple of road course type of tracks with 16 turns, elevation changes, 300kmh straight aways, type deals being built within a 1 1/2 hour drive so, blower, cage/harness, big tires and away we go....

If I crash and survive get another car switch the go fast parts and drive better next time. No insurance on the track so less money is better.

What do you think??
Corvette is definitely the best answer for this! This is exactly why I bought mine... paid $19k, will invest maybe $5k in mods, and if I crash it, I'll part it out and get most of my money back.

·
Registered
1965 Chevelle
199 Posts
GTO's are fun to drive but I can't get past the fact that they look live a Cavalier to me.😬

1 - 20 of 43 Posts