Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best Buy had a stupid good sale on 3DR Solo drones after Christmas. I had convinced myself I didn't need one, but the price was just too good to pass up. I've been wanting one ever since I went with my cousin about a year ago when he flew his and I've seen some of the fantastic photos he's taken with his.

I did RC racing ages ago when I was a young guy and some of those skills still carry over and came back to me pretty quick but I still left the machine in its smart mode for the first flight yesterday and it performed flawlessly. I'll ease into the more complex controls when I get more experience under my belt. I've had the thing for over a week but couldn't fly due to it being too cold, so yesterday's just-above-freezing temps have been my first opportunity. Tonight should be in the 40s so I plan another excursion.

The video I shot got corrupted at the end so I can't convert or edit the file into a form that can be posted to Youtube or other places, but I did capture a few snaps out of the video.

Here's me waving back to my 'copter:

And here is the mid-Winter setting sun horizon just a mile or so outside of my small town:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Cool! My wife bought me one for Christmas. Still in t he box but I plan on getting it out soon. Jim

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
This could be a real handy tool Rich, does it have a "track" or follow mode? You can get in that Chevelle and do some shots from various heights following you or off to the side. Or just above the road as you pass underneath at about 100mph?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
What type of flight time does it have, say mild hover, not doing fancy moving around.

·
Super Moderator
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! My wife bought me one for Christmas. Still in t he box but I plan on getting it out soon. Jim
What brand/model did you get? I'm just learning about what is out there myself.

This could be a real handy tool Rich, does it have a "track" or follow mode? You can get in that Chevelle and do some shots from various heights following you or off to the side. Or just above the road as you pass underneath at about 100mph?
Yes, it has a good number of built in pre-programmed autonomous modes. One is "follow me". I plan to test that one out tonight. The automated feature I like is "fly home". One press of a button and it will return home and land by itself exactly to the spot from where it took off. Tried that yesterday, it worked really well. It certainly landed softer than when I landed it manually.

What type of flight time does it have, say mild hover, not doing fancy moving around.
Supposed to have about a 20-25 minute flight time per full battery. I haven't flown it long enough to determine how long it can stay up. Everyone I've talked too said to land when the battery monitor hits 30% in cold weather and it is okay to go to 15%-20% in warmer weather. Always good to have a little reserve if something comes up and it does take a little time to actually land it. I've got the performance parameters turned way down (makes it move slower) but apparently at full performance it can travel as fast as 50+ MPH!

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Too light for the Go-Pro you have? This can make for some interesting shots as I was saying, all you have to do now is brush up on editing and maybe put it to some music! Hey you can combine footage from the GP and the drone and produce a video, all out! What a blast!

·
Super Moderator
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The 3DR Solo drone is set up to carry a GoPro. I already had a compatible GoPro so I was all set there. Video and pictures aside, it is so cool to have a live video feed at the the controller from the on-board camera on the quad.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Looks way too cold....

·
Super Moderator
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks way too cold....
Anything below 50 is too cold for you.... (weinie!) :D

My hands were just starting to ache a bit, was outside for about 15 minutes. Can't wear gloves since the camera controls are partially on a touch screen.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
You're right...it's 55 degrees here and feeling a bit frosty.
And there is no school again today due to "icy conditions"...LOL

·
Super Moderator
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right...it's 55 degrees here and feeling a bit frosty.
And there is no school again today due to "icy conditions"...LOL
Sounds like someone NEEDS some schooling if they think that 55 degrees could result in freezing conditions (unless it was significantly colder this morning).

·
Premium Member
2000 Trans Am WS6
5,057 Posts
Amazing what those things can do.

I happened across a drone video that Cecil County Dragway had, with my car making a pass....was pretty dang cool seeing it. I could not figure out how to load it so recorded the video...lol.

https://youtu.be/nP3bWbN_Ius

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Was that shot in slow motion, Bob? >:)

Reactions: rel3rd

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
My 7 yr old son got an inexpensive($100) type drone for Christmas. 1st flight, Dad got it stuck in a tree. :angry: He wasn't too happy either. After a 2hr rescue mission, 2nd flight went a little better. I'm thinking the bigger, more expensive ones like yours has to be a little easier to control? This one he has gets blown around real easy too.

·
Super Moderator
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My 7 yr old son got an inexpensive($100) type drone for Christmas. 1st flight, Dad got it stuck in a tree. :angry: He wasn't too happy either. After a 2hr rescue mission, 2nd flight went a little better. I'm thinking the bigger, more expensive ones like yours has to be a little easier to control? This one he has gets blown around real easy too.
Oh, definitely. The "adult" ones mostly have the computers doing half the flying. In smart mode mine will go up, down, left, right, pivot left, pivot right. When I let go of the stick it stops and hovers in place. Even in wind it will hold itself in one place automatically compensating for the wind. It also has an autopilot take off and landing feature which is great because the most likely times to crash are at take off and landing. About the only feature mine does not have that I wish it did was object avoidance. This feature keeps you from crashing into objects, must have some kind of radar system in it to detect objects. The tech in these things is nothing short of amazing.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Mines a wraith spy drone. Nothing as fancy by should be fun. Jim

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
My buddy needed roof work done. The contractor he went to is a few blocks away, so he just flew his drone over the house and gave him an estimate right there while they sat in the office. Crazy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts