Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my 4" cowl hood today. It looks good, and it fits as well as it can be expected. There are a couple little issues but I think the issue is with my hinges instead the hood. Pictures will be on my site hopefully by this weekend.

Question for those of you that have a Glasstek hood. The cowl area all the way at the back of the hood is blocked off. I don't get that as it defeats the purpose of the cowl there. Do you have the same issue with yours? I will also call them tomorrow to see what they say.
Thanks

------------------
www.yannis68chevelle.com

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think alot of people cut off the blocked off area. How much did it cost you? I need the exact same hood.

------------------
70 Chevelle SS509 "Something wicked this way comes"

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bad, their prices are very competitive and you might be able to save a few bucks on shipping if you want to take a ride to Naperville.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
Yous got a problem wit dat?
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction" - Still!
Parts left over = Less weight!
Gold #43

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, I should know that but I think it was $375. I will check on my receipt and let you know. The 4" is standard, and the 2" I think it would be $450 or so because they would have to custom make it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You said they could make a 2" cowl for a 68 for $475 on special order, are you sure because i'm looking for a 2" and can't seem to find one and i like glasstechs quallity. Also do you have the phone number or internet site to glasstech?

thanks,

------------------
lucky3
1968 Malibu
My 68 Malibu
Dale Earnhardt always

·
Registered
363 Posts
Their phone number is 630-978-9897. They don't have a website.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
Yous got a problem wit dat?
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction" - Still!
Parts left over = Less weight!
Gold #43

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeap, they can. Actually another member here is having a 2" custom made at Glasstek for his '69 Chevelle.

I took some more pictures this afternoon, I will post them tomorrow, but I reaaaaaly like the looks of the 4".

I also talk to them and they said they leave that area blocked off because a lot of people like to put their gauges there, but it can easily be cut as well.

------------------
www.yannis68chevelle.com

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Dang tall hood ya got there........

I hope my custom 2 inch one looks a little more discreet!
You won't be sneaking up on too many with that look.

Things are going real slow on the velle. I need to have a custom voltmeter gauge built to replace the ampgauge for the Painless harness. I ordered the tires and wheels for the velle. I went with 18 inch wheels, 295/45's in back and 255/45 in front. Hopefully they will fit as I plan!

The corvette is getting new fenders and paint as the "2 year old" fenders were defective. That means there is no car over the mechanic's pit if anyone wants to use it this weekend........... Welder, abrasive blaster, and air tools if needed. I'll be here both Saturday and Sunday. Got beer.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

[This message has been edited by Redrum (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had to cut mine out. The only bad thing about cutting the cowl out is that you can forget opening your vent's. Cause all you'll get is hot air from the mill. Check my web site to see my hood. There's some good shot's of it on page 9. IMO You can't beat the quality of a Glasstek unit.

------------------
Don Edmonds
T.C.Member 1033
1969 Chevelle
3750lbs.
10.57 @ 125mph N/A
1.47 60'
BES Powered
2002 Harley FXDWG3 www.bottlerats69.homestead.com/TheBottlerat.html

[This message has been edited by bottlerat (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Registered
277 Posts
Right now I'm running 15x8 with a 4 1/2" back spacing with 28x11.5x15 Mickey Thompson E/T Street's. But I plan on going to a 15x10 with a 5 1/2" back space and going to a 28x12.5x15. You can fit these up in the wheel wells without rolling or cutting the lip.

------------------
Don Edmonds
T.C.Member 1033
1969 Chevelle
3750lbs.
10.57 @ 125mph N/A
1.47 60'
BES Powered
2002 Harley FXDWG3
www.bottlerats69.homestead.com/TheBottlerat.html

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Don. As you know I need to get the widest possible tire back there. I was looking at the Hoosier DOT tires and the BFGs. Do you have any experience with either for mostly street driving, and which one would you recommend between the 3 (Hoosier, MT, BFG?)
Sorry for all these questions, I just want to do it right.
Thank you.

------------------
www.yannis68chevelle.com

·
Registered
277 Posts
The BFG is going to be the best tire for street driving. But you are going to give up a lot on traction. The M/T and the Hoosier are going to ET better. But not so good on the street. It all depend's on what you are going to do with your car.

------------------
Don Edmonds
T.C.Member 1033
1969 Chevelle
3750lbs.
10.57 @ 125mph N/A
1.47 60'
BES Powered
2002 Harley FXDWG3
www.bottlerats69.homestead.com/TheBottlerat.html

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RADAIR1:
Is this the same place?http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gofast/glasstek1.html<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is just a shop that is a dealer for Glasstek. Notice they say, "...get their hoods..." in the intro? I particularly like the line, "These hoods are not in stock and are built when ordered. It will take about 15 to 30 days." Yet, all the hoods they show on the page, "...usually ships the next business day." Their way of saying, "We don't stock Glasstek hoods. But, those listed on this page are normally in stock at Glasstek; others may be special order and may take 15 to 30 days because Glasstek may or may not have them in stock."

Obviously nobody proofreads the copy for spelling (requier, Musatng), punctuation (If you don't see your car Call for your application), or making sense.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.