Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my frame from the Galvanizes today.
All I can say is "oh ya":D:yes::D

Hope to have it painted this weekend. I have the Primer from ANCHOR Paint and The Rustolum Latex from Home depot to finish it. Have to go and get the vinigar in the morning.

Hope to have pictures of before and after posted by the end of the weekend. Have some before and after just need some after paint.

So a run down of cost:

Galvanizing $200 CND
Primer $17US + shipping
Rustolum Paint $12 CND
Gas to take it there and pick it up $50 CND

Grand Total right around $300CND and little to no work on my part except painting.:thumbsup:

Thanks to Herb and the rest for posting all the info on this process, and without knowing talked me into getting this done.:beers:

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
cool. One step closer.

Any pics?

Also, is there anything special you have to do in order to paint Galv. metal?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Great Shaun!!! Post some pics. Don't forget to chase those threaded holes with a 5/16" tap. Also, you'll want to run a drill through those "brake line clip" holes. Also check that the emergency brake cable clips back into that one hole below the body on the driver side. If not, touch it up a little with a round file.

Other than that, it's just a matter of re-assembling the entire car back onto the frame. That's only a couple of days of work.:thumbsup:

/herb

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cam I did not pull the frame from under mine, I went and got another. My have been the wrong way (less insentive (sp)) but if it's not done I am still able to drive my car come spring.

Herb after wipeing down with the vinigar scotch brite do you rinse with water or is there no need to rinse?

Here's a few pictures:

when I went to pick it up

at home starting to pull it apart

done

really done :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Looks great Shaun! :thumbsup: That was quick on the galvanize job.

One thing...what made you decide on the Rustolum latex paint...that's a water base paint. I'd be concerned on the long term durability of that product.
Might be wrong though...just curious...:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill thats what I thought but it seems to be the paint of choice, and at this point its just cosmetic as the galvanize is the protection. The primier is also water based. As mention in the posts I read on this, before I did it, if I scratch it it's a simple touch up. Also clean up is soap and water.
I guess it's like the latex paint you use in your home it does not wash off after its on the walls and dry......only time will tell if I have made the wrong choice.

Are you bring the wagon the Niagara this year?

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Learning all the time...I didn't realize the primer also was a latex. Makes sense now...Cool!
Unless I could borrow a double trailer, I'll probably just bring the '70. I'd love to carry both up there, though. CanAm is one of my favorite shows of the year! Hopefully we can get some drag racing in on Sunday afternoon again. I'll have to put a little bug in Gene's ear. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
damn. your another step ahead of me now. I have the bare frame, but it has yet to be galvanized.

I'll ask you all about during the niagra falls show in july

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
"Herb after wipeing down with the vinigar scotch brite do you rinse with water or is there no need to rinse?"

Yes, rinse it....rinse it good. ;-)
Yeah, don't leave that vinegar on there. It's just a mild acid to help cut the zinc oxide (zinc rust) off. You will not believe what comes off that freshly galvanized frame with the vinegar and a scotch brite pad. Zinc oxide starts forming even before it's cool from the dipping tank. Doesn't hurt anyting, just makes it dull. Also will keep the paint from sticking well. Use the scotch pad on nooks and crannies while you are rinsing too. Just make sure it's clear of the vinegar, rinse it good too.

Believe it or not, most galvanized paints and primers are latex. Don't know why. But that's what is used even in marine environments unless you are going with epoxy. If you use epoxy, you won't have to dry dock it every 5 years and sand blast the hull. I know, not funny. Just couldn't resist.

Anyway, you will find that the paint and even maybe the primer are scratchable if you drag you inner fenders or something metal across the frame. No problem, just touch it up. This paint and even the primer dries in less than an hour. It's almost too easy and too cheap. Touched my frame up and kept working on it in 10 mins the other day. If that's too slow, use a hair drier and do it in 2 mins.

Of course, if you want something stronger, epoxy prime it, or zinc chromate it (causes cancer, be careful), and paint it with something else. Or get it powder coat it. All good coatings. But unless you REALLY need or want that finish, you'd be burning several $50 bills. As you noted, it's just cosmetic, the real protection is under that paint.

It's all good once you've gone this route.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Looks like mine did :thumbsup:
Shaun, what I did with the anchor primer was I thinned it with water very little water and put on 2 thin coats first then I did 2 full (unthinned) coats.
Worked great for me I could not scratch the primer.
Then I did the same with the Rustolum Paint. It took longer to prime and paint but worked perfect for me and the paint was very hard to scratch.
The only place I did scratch it was putting on the brake line clips and used a qtip for touch up:D:thumbsup: So easy.
Try a test peice thinning primer and paint it might be different were you live from the humidity and temp. Iam in florida and it was HOT as hell when I did mine and primer and paint would dry in 2 minuites too fast for me so I slowed it down to 7-10 minuites and worked great. I did alot of testing before I did the final primer and paint. Dave (ebe) another member and I did our frames together and he used semi gloss rattle can paint on his and it looked like it was powder coated when he was done just so you know. So their is other ways to paint after you use the primer.
Its been over a year since I painted mine now and the wifes cats sit on it all the time:sad: and leave foot prints on it and mud and it will come right off.

Remind me to shoot the cats when my car comes home from the paint shop the end of april...:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Well my hats off to all of you who have pursued this avenue. I would think those frames will be around for many years to come. Love to look at the progress pictures and reading the tech info you are providing fellow members...Great job........:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guy did not get a chance to get at it today as we have had every thing from rain to freezing rain and evrything in between:(

I hope to get a good start this weekend.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Shaun,
if you would get your butt out of Hooters you might get something done.:D :beers:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.