Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodwrech 350 and a new cam

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  CA Elky 
#1 ·
I just went out and bought a few things, here they are.

Goodwrench 350 crate motor
built th350 stage 2 shift kit
performer rpm
holley 600 vacuum secondary (already had)
headman headers

I want to add a mild cam to the 100% stock goodwrench 350

NOW FOR THE QUESTION

1. What kind of cam do you think I should put in? (Duration etc)

2. What other mods would I have to do to the motor to accommodate the cam (valve springs etc.)?

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO THIS MOTOR???

Thanks a lot as always

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

BTW-- hey AL you should add a thing so people can edit there title so when bone heads like me misspell the title

[This message has been edited by Hot66ss (edited 11-02-99).]

See less See more
#2 ·
for the last few months " chevy high performance " mag has been building a goodwrench 350 with various components and publishing a series or reports on this very topic.... go to your local library (or other source) if they have this mag and make photo copies and read them...they have the exact info you want!!

nedd to go back proba about the last 3-4 months

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
wa3men@aol.com
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

#3 ·
Go with a Comp Cams 268 camshaft.It is compatable with a stock convertor, and will have a little lick to it , or for a little more step up to the 270 , it's about like the old 327-350 cam.Both are around .470 lift, so your springs should work out fine.You know this will void the 3 yr. 50,000 mile warranty, don't you?

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

#4 ·
the articles they are doing are great they are almost what i have in my 355 im building so now i can get hp and torque specs with some accuracy since they dyno'd it. but if i were were you i'd leave it stock until the warranty goes out.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

#5 ·
Hey Hot66, howdy umm all I can say is I agree with the other members ,,,,Im not tryin to discourage in any way. I do think that You might concider running the crate motor as is,,,at least until Your warrenty is void. By the way,, I put a crate motor in a 82 chevy PU /350 I still drive it daily,, and have apx 170,000 miles on the motor! it still runs fine and uses very little oil. It was definately $$$$ well spent! hey all I can say is enjoy the Motor,,,,and mabey after Your warrenty IS void,,,then mabey do the cam swap....but as allways its Your car and Your $$$ so do whatever You want. Tintop55 in Bellflower CA

#6 ·
This should be of interest to you.

I have personal experience, and a dyno record of a 350 target master, which had a 268 comp cam installed (used the stock springs etc.) It used a weiand 8004 intake manifold (like a performer) and a holley 600 vacuum secondary. HEI ignition 87 octane set timing to 36°BTDC max. Used 1 7/8 x 3" collector headers.

Made 288 hp at 4800 rpm
348 lbs/ft at 2800 rpm extremely flat curve
was still 340 TQ at 4000. slightly lopey idle but still 18" of manifold vacuum.

HTH

#7 ·
A little bird told me motors that are in on warranty (blown etc.) are put in a big pile and the internals are not checked. I was thinking if I blew the motor I could always just take my cam out and put the original in.

Any truth to that?

Thanks again

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

#8 ·
I purchased a Chevy crate motor over the summer as well (the 330 HO) and a larger carb was recommended than the 600 you're thinking about running (750 cfm).

I'd just run the crate motor stock for a while, then switch anything you want

------------------
--Amanda :)

Proud owner of a 68 ElCam

"Sometimes the only reason to get out of bed in the morning is to wear a new shirt."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.