Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu SS 396 clone
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
馃枛 I was driving the `Bu to the Cup `N Cone when the 700R4 gave two jerks, a very loud pop, and died... Again. Either this tranny is cursed or the builder is a moron (I didn't build it or install it). I realize ya gotta fight with these old cars, but my saga with the 700R4 has been such a major PITFA.

Well, after a couple of days of "what the f__k now?" I ordered a TKX. I hope this will be a better way to go.

Registered
1966 El Camino 350/370HP 5 speed TKX 3.31 rear.1967 Chevelle 454/430HP Th400 w/Gear Vender 3.73 rear
I think you made a good decision. Installed a TKX in my El Camino and very happy with the results. I went with the lower first gear unit, it is comfortable to drive in town. No more slipping the clutch to get going as with the Muncie.

Premium Member

Registered
I don't know how many of my friends have popped 700R4's, when I worked at the dealerships the trans guys were always putting in the GM certa 700R4's. For my street car I opted for the T-56 and even though I have to push in a clutch once in a while I like it better cruising. The biggest problem with those 700's is they can't take the torque of a big engine.

Registered
I have only heard good things about the TKX. I plan to put one in my '55 Chevy

Registered
Mine will be going in shortly. Can hardly wait.

Registered
There is NOTHING like banging your own gears in a "3 pedal" car. I have a friend who talks about his modern "manual" Mustang dual dry clutch, paddle shifter, blah blah blah....... I remind him that if there is no 3rd pedal, its still an automatic. And I know all the people will say modern autos are faster than stick. True, but Probably only noticeable at the track by a few tenths. The stick shift is still much more fun to drive and you feel more in control.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, lying on your back swapping transmissions and clutches is a blast. Lol
:cool: The "mechanic" who installed my ZZ502 cam ripped the one piece oil pan gasket (at the timing chain cover) and I'm tired of the leaks. I have to pull the engine/tranny to do a good job (as well as a safe job) replacing the gasket. Therefore, I'll be able to install the transmisson, etc. to the engine while the engine is on a stand. Since the engine is coming out I plan on grinding welds on the front frame, and painting and generally sprucing up the engine compartment.

Sounds like a fun time, eh?

Premium Member
:cool: The "mechanic" who installed my ZZ502 cam ripped the one piece oil pan gasket (at the timing chain cover) and I'm tired of the leaks. I have to pull the engine/tranny to do a good job (as well as a safe job) replacing the gasket. Therefore, I'll be able to install the transmisson, etc. to the engine while the engine is on a stand. Since the engine is coming out I plan on grinding welds on the front frame, and painting and generally sprucing up the engine compartment.

I did my bellhousing alignment while the engine was sitting in a cradle. Much easier than doing it while in the car. I was able to get it within .001" with the RobbMC offset dowels.

Registered

Which TKX did you order? The .68 or .81 OD?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Which TKX did you order? The .68 or .81 OD?
:cool: I ordered the .68 Over Drive (P/N: TCET17805). It should work out well with my 28 inch diameter tires and 3.73:1 rear gears.

"They" say it will be delivered by next week!!! 馃啋

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.