Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I've got a question for those of you in the Las Vegas and L.A. areas. I'm getting married in Las Vegas later this month. So, for our honeymoon, my soon-to-be wife and I are going to spend the next week or so visiting places like the NHRA Museum and the Von Dutch Garage shop in L.A....and digging through boneyards in Vegas and L.A. to search for parts for our project cars...a '64 El Camino and a '65 Vista Cruiser (yeah, I know, it's not a Chevelle, but at least it's an A-body, and it's getting a 383/TH400 combo). Damn, it's nice to get a hold of a girl who's into hot rods! Anyway, I was hoping some of you could suggest some good junkyards in both of those areas, so I don't waste so much time blindly stabbing at the phone book. Thanks in advance!!!

------------------

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nick,
There is a Pick-a-Part in Ontario & a ?(forgot name, brain went dead, it's huge)in the Los Angeles area. Don't forget to stop by Peterson's Automotive Museum in L.A.

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Going thru junkyards during a honeymoon, ah how romantic...

·
Registered
423 Posts
For "down and dirty", you can't go wrong with "pick-a-part" and "U-pick-parts" in Sun Valley. Sun Valley is the name of the town and it's in the San Fernando Valley (L.A.). Think of the location of the Northridge earthquake and you get the idea. In both (they are real close to one another), you pay a buck and bring your own tools. The cars are divided into manufacturers, so you can avoid the ford stuff. They rotate the cars out, and as such, a car may only be there for about a month. Need 73 chevelle spindles and brakes, you could fill a truck full of all the ones you find. However, it's hit or miss as to if they have what you need at the time.

Sharing the same parking lot with "pick-a-part" is Memory Lane. The car magazine guys get a fair amount of stuff here (I think they know the owner). It's more of the "rare" cars, and as such more pricey. Ask for their OK and then walk the yard. I found factory air vents for a 64 chevelle there and gladly paid something like 30 bucks for them. (I'd have paid close to a hundred if I had to) One big problem is that I don't think that they are open during the week-ends!!

Have fun and wear dirty clothes!

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference & Wagons sections
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Pick-A-Part in Ontario CA is named just that. I live just about 3 miles from it and I have never seen a chevelle there except one 69 malibu. That chevelle was in a closed lot where the management keeps older collectible cars for someone other than the general public.
There is supposed to be an Ecology pick a part place down the road in Fontana CA and in other parts of the greater LA area.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I live about 6 miles from the Ontario pick-a-part and I've probably seen 30-40 Chevelles in the yard during the last 4 years that I've been living here. Most of the good parts tend to be gone by the time I get there, but a couple weeks ago I got a fiber-optic light setup off a 69 Chevy wagon -- that's not something you see every day! As of now, I don't think there are any Chevelles, but there are a few early Montes, LeMans, Cutlass, etc. It's not a bad place to pick around.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey SoCalRat and 70L34,
30-40 chevelles in the last four years? I guess I just haven't been paying attention! I live where just SW of the 60 & 15 intersection. It seems I need to get on over there more often!

70L34 I'm suprised you guys at Harvey Mudd have time to go pick-a-parting. Did you ever run into Amanda (CA Elky)when she was at Clairmont?

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Yeah Gary, I went to the Pomona drags with Amanda last year! I'd see her around campus once in a while, but she's in DC now, I think. I don't get a lot of time to go pick-a-parting because of school's evil grip on my free time, but I do get out there once every few weeks. It's a poor substitute to having my Chevelle around (it's back in Milwaukee), but I have a 66 Buick GS that keeps me 'entertained' in its absence.
Man, you're so close, I'd like to get out there and see your Chevelle sometime!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.