Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this engine for sale and was wondering if it was worth the $450 asking price as well as what would need to be done to it to make it put out around 400-450hp. How much power do you think it can make the way it is?
Thanks.

402 BIG BLOCK CASTING #3999290/ DATE CODE A-24-74. HEADS CASTING #3993820/ DATE CODE C-24-71, INTAKE AND RODS, THIS IS UNIVERSAL REPLACEMENT MOTOR PULLED OUT OF 72 CHEVELLE. STD BORE HAS BEEN TANKED MAGGED AND STORED, MOTOR IS LESS CRANK, HEADS ARE OVAL PORT AND HAVE HAD A VALVE JOB DONE, BLOCK HAS BEEN DEBURRED JUST NEEDS BOTTLE HONED.

Thanks again,

------------------
Jon Bush
66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Fremont CA, birthplace of many a chevelle

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
No crank????????NOPE. Pass

------------------

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
Maybe I have paid too much for stuff in the past but It does sound like a bad deal Has the block been all measured you say std bore is it ok or does it need boring.Are the heads rebuilt or did some do a quikie valve job .If the block was good the heads done coplete the pistons and rods ok I would look into it I would definitely were its not going to be the crank that was matched to that piston and rods have it balanced MIKE

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I bought my 402 BB for $500 with everything from the oil pan to intake. It has 454 -049 ported oval port heads and I have not done anything to it yet. but It's all there to make what I want. I think this would be a good start for a BB stroker motor if the crank is missing. If you do get this motor I would try and find a forged crank for it. Is it a 2 bolt or 4 bolt?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know if it is a 4bolt or 2bolt, the book I have only says it is a late 69-72 402 according to the block casting #. Maybe someone has more info, it would be appreciated. I havent talked to the owner because I wanted to know what I was getting into before I started. Anyone know how much $$ for a good crank, perhaps a stroker, nd how many cubes I could get?
Thanks for all the comments so far...
Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.