Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think we are selling. It's a beauty of a car and it's so great to cruise around town. But it sits in my parent's garage. My dad doesn't take it out and I never find time to get over there. It's a numbers-matching 1968 SS396 325hp. I love it and building it was amazing. But in all honesty, the "numbers matching SS" doesn't really do much for me, besides show off at Goodguys hahah. We went to a bunch of car shows the first few years, but haven't been to any in the last couple.

Anyways, was talking to my dad and think it's best to sell. If we still want a Chevelle, maybe get one that wasn't an SS or other "desirable" factory option, with a more modern motor/tranny, etc. My head always goes towards: if anything happened to the motor, it'd be hard to find another '68 block in decent condition, rather than drop in a corvette motor or newer LS. Then you loose your numbers-matching value.

There's more details on the car below and I'll put a link to the google photos. What do you guys think? I'd be happy to get $40k but looking around San Francisco bay area craigslist... that might not be feasible. When we had the paint/bodywork done, we didn't do a "full frame-off resto". The frame and body were rust-free (except trunk floor and right below rear window. Non-structural) and the body shop advised against it, saying it was in great shape and a frame-off would be unnecessary. I still agree, but feel like the phrase "frame off resto" really pumps the price of these cars.

Anyone want to buy it? haha

More details:
- 1968 SS396 Chevelle numbers matching 138- 325hp motor, tranny and heads. All the original stuff.
- We added some "warmth" to the motor when it was rebuilt professionally. Forged pistons (not sure why), cams, tall intake, Holly carb, long tube headers. Dynos at around 340hp/380tq crank.
- Full UMI performance tubular suspension. But I used OEM A/C and cargo control springs to maintain ride height. Not a fan of lowered Chevelles. corners flat, great driver.
- Body panels were all removed, chemically stripped, smoothed, painted, clear coat. Frame was professionally straightened. All paint and body work was like $20k-$25k.
- Added a 3.55 LSD in the rear
- M-20 4 speed
- Factory bench seat. Is that rare for an SS?
- Didn't touch the interior. In great original shape. Need to get photos of it. Actually there were a couple things here and there that were replaced, including dash cover.
- They are the rallye wheels but the larger Corvette size. Look nice and beefy. These are not in the earlier photos as we added them a year after resto.
- Odo shows about 50k miles but only a few thousand since the rebuild.
- It's a non A/C car. Factory front disk brakes, drum rear.

Might be missing a few details. Ask away and I'll answer. Here are some photos of the rebuild.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5dHdZ93zZsDiQqjo9

·
Registered
271 Posts
Personally, after viewing your pics, I believe you are right in the ballpark at 40K. I see anywhere between high 30's - low 40's for the car. Don't know about the rarity of the bench seat option, but a bucket seat - console setup would be more appealing IMO. Being rare necessarily does not make it more valuable.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,369 Posts
:cool: Some guys pull the numbers engine/transmission and install a crate motor. You could go with an LS-style crate and not worry, eh?

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
Some guys pull their numbers matching and put that in the corner then put in a 468 with 600 + horses. The bench seat isn’t rare. If you have had for fun and it just sits then maybe time for someone else to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Stock 396 isnt all that fun to be sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, gents!

I'd love to keep it and swap a badazz motor in, and throw the numbers matching motor/tranny in the corner like some of you have suggested. But, at that point I think I'd still rather just get a non-SS or SS clone to drive around in. The numbers matching SS is "collectible" for sure, but I'm not into collecting, I'm into driving and having fun!

We got a screamin' deal when we acquired the car was how we ended up with it in the first place.

Like others have said, best let someone else enjoy it who will appreciate it more than I have :D

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Sell it. Pick up a Malibu that has a solid body and doesn't need body work, but doesn't have a $30,000 paint job. Even better if it has worn out suspension and a tired engine.

You can get those relatively cheap, and you can put money into performance parts and hold off on the paint for now. Would be a really fun driver.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some guys pull their numbers matching and put that in the corner then put in a 468 with 600 + horses. The bench seat isn’t rare. If you have had for fun and it just sits then maybe time for someone else to enjoy it.
Exactly what I just did. Pulled the numbers matching engine on my 68 and storing it in the corner of the work garage and a 496 is in there now. A lot more fun to drive around now.

As for the OP, I think $40k is fair for that build out for sure. Looks good (I didn't see the interior) on the outside. The only thing is that grill is a bit too shiny for my taste. Good luck with selling it, hope you get a solid price on it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMO if you were going for an all stock SS you shouldn't have done the suspension mods, headers, wheels etc, but since you've already done all that anyhow so why not do what you want to it and keep it? Pull the stock engine and tranny out and keep them.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
IMO if you were going for an all stock SS you shouldn't have done the suspension mods, headers, wheels etc, but since you've already done all that anyhow so why not do what you want to it and keep it? Pull the stock engine and tranny out and keep them.
I agree. Having the original engine is great if your doing a correct restoration but it’s sounds like your car deviates pretty far from stock. Just drive it the way it is or if you want to save the motor in case you’ll ever go 100% stock, pull it and save it. Probably way less expensive than a different Chevelle would end up costing in the long run.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Exactly what I just did. Pulled the numbers matching engine on my 68 and storing it in the corner of the work garage and a 496 is in there now. A lot more fun to drive around now.

As for the OP, I think $40k is fair for that build out for sure. Looks good (I didn't see the interior) on the outside. The only thing is that grill is a bit too shiny for my taste. Good luck with selling it, hope you get a solid price on it!
You caught me. The SS in '68 has the same grill as non-SS but should be painted black. It's a new grill when we did the resto and the body shop didn't know.

IMO if you were going for an all stock SS you shouldn't have done the suspension mods, headers, wheels etc,
I've thought about that. I still have the stock exhaust manifolds, but the previous owner had everything downstream replaced. The oem sheels and suspension were pretty beat. Figured since there's no "numbers" on them to match it wouldn't affect too much. But to your point a purist would argue against that.

Well overall appreciate you guys commenting. given me some insight in preparation for the sale. We are going to be selling in about a month or so if anyone is interested. It's a great driver and show car in one. Gets a lot of attention.Drivetrain in great condition, so is body. Interior is factory, could use a couple very small things to make perfect but otherwise great.

Maybe in the future I will look for a base model Chevelle/malibu that's been resto-modded with a slightly less nice paint job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts