Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the body forum prior to posting this.

My original hood hinges had side to side wear that concerned my painter. In an attempt to keep the project on schedule, I ordered a set of reproduction hinges (Golden Legion). The installation resulted in damage to my newly painted hood.

The hood mounts don't align properly and there is no clearance for the front hinge arm. This was overlooked since this wasn't expected. Upon tightening the front bolt on the hood, the hinge arm pressed against the bottom of the hood and resulted in a sharp positive deform on the hood.

My painter was sick about the result, as it was exactly a year ago the car was taken to his shop. Hee I am today to pick up the car and the hood will require repair.

I was discussing this with a friend yesterday and he had a similar problem, but found it before the finish paint.

Stay away from these (GL) reproduction hinges, check for interference before paint, and restore your old hinges.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
I believe people were having problems with these hinges a year or so ago. Perhaps the BBB needs to be notified about all the junk we keep getting. Keep sending it back too.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Perhaps the BBB needs to be notified about all the junk we keep getting.
I SO much agree with this statement!

This isn't a magazine, thank goodness! It would be terrible if forums like these, especially this one, to turn into what the print mags have become. There are more and more advertisements popping up on this creen every day. I hope this site stays with it's original intention of serving the people, it's paying members.

There's no liability from pepole, the public at large, posting their experience with products good ot bad.

This is THE place to get the most correct and current information on products

The quality of each restoration part available is alays in a state of change

The 'Vendor Bashing' policy is valid, but changes could be made to allow more important information on all products that are allowed to be advertised to us here.

It's great that there is a forum here for retailers and customers to interact, but I'd like to see a better, easier to use chart or catalog for all parts available to us. Competition breeds excellence, there's no question about that. Let it happen.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Well, we've all been there at one time or another. Take a short cut and wind up regretting it.

If you read enough threads about hinges, you'll soon find out that any of the reproduction hinges are junk and even the ones purported to be genuine GM aren't any better.

Chalk it up to experience and give TC member Willie a call at Wilson Parts & antiques @ 434-258-2606. He'll rebuild your original hinges better than new.
When he did mine, it didn't take much more than a week.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
I think that you will find that companies who really care do watch this site and others like it. We do the product testing and it costs them nothing. You see postings from time to time. They aren't long finding out what people think of their products and what needs to be changed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just delivered a Black 1970 LS-5 Chevelle 3 weeks ago and the hinges were available from GM the rivets are wrong but the were perfect along with the GM springs.

·
Super Moderator
13,311 Posts
Ed,
Did you return the hinges to whoever you bought them from ???? If not, there is no way for anyone to know about the problem. Personally, I am sick of guys crying about the "junk" repop parts, yet still taking the time and money to make them work rather than returning them and getting the correct parts :(

·
Registered
802 Posts
Isnt there a way to rebuild originals?

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed,
Did you return the hinges to whoever you bought them from ???? If not, there is no way for anyone to know about the problem. Personally, I am sick of guys crying about the "junk" repop parts, yet still taking the time and money to make them work rather than returning them and getting the correct parts :(
I plan to return the hinges. My friend that had a similar problem in 2004, contacted the same supplier I used. When I contacted the supplier they acted as though this was the first time this problem was identified.

Since the hood will now be 4 to 5 weeks, absent from the body, I will send off my originals for restoration.

After this experience, I could see a business selling restored original hinges and getting triple the cost of reproductions, easily.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I rebuild hinges for many Team Chevelle members, and have quoted prices for many more. If you need your hinges rebuilt, call me at 434-258-2606 or contact me through a PM here, or e-mail me at [email protected]. I had a house fire. caused by lighting, so i have not been as speedy as i was, and am back to the land of dial-up internet again.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rebuild hinges for many Team Chevelle members, and have quoted prices for many more. If you need your hinges rebuilt, call me at 434-258-2606 or contact me through a PM here, or e-mail me at [email protected]. I had a house fire. caused by lighting, so i have not been as speedy as i was, and am back to the land of dial-up internet again.
I can't get your email to work. Can you send me a PM and I will return mail you.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
If for some reason you cant get them rebuilt send John Watts a PM his TC name is " all years " I am sure he will have a OEM set.:yes: or call him at 402-674-3147

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all that have supported this thread. I'll update you as I progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok well I just got my 71 Malibu and it came as an SS clone resto but I had brand new hood hinges for the cowl hood and I put them on no problem and they work great.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Ed, sorry for that experience. It sucks.

All - I bought a pair of those GL hinges. They were stiff and poorly built. I found numerous posts of folks who had their aftermarket hinges come apart and tear up the paint on the fenders etc. (do a search, they are there). When I posted a concern on here, Willie responded as he has a few posts up above. So I had him rebuild my stock hinges. I couldn't believe the difference in the quality of his work and the repops. I returned the repops and used the original GM, rebuilt hinges. The cost was about the same. Better yet, I'm not worried about them coming apart. The pivot points are quite a step up and they work well with the SS springs.

He knows his stuff and does excellent work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.