Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to the U-Pick salvage yard this Saturday west of Hialeah (Miami). What should be on my list for vehicles to check out for good parts to add to the 67?

I'm thinking about the following changes:
1.) Add a coolant recovery tank.
2.) Bigger front sway bar.
3.) Get rid of flex fan and use factory fan and clutch.
4.) Power lock solenoids (I'm willing to fab my own door lock linkage).

So, what are some good donor vehicles to check out for parts I could fit to my SBC 67 Chevelle?

I also like some of the "later" car features like under-hood lights, trunk lights, trunk tool kits, etc. Are there any good ideas you've implemented in your ride?

·
Premium Member
16,879 Posts
I'm going to the U-Pick salvage yard this Saturday west of Hialeah (Miami). What should be on my list for vehicles to check out for good parts to add to the 67?

I'm thinking about the following changes:
1.) Add a coolant recovery tank.
2.) Bigger front sway bar.
3.) Get rid of flex fan and use factory fan and clutch.
4.) Power lock solenoids (I'm willing to fab my own door lock linkage).

So, what are some good donor vehicles to check out for parts I could fit to my SBC 67 Chevelle?

I also like some of the "later" car features like under-hood lights, trunk lights, trunk tool kits, etc. Are there any good ideas you've implemented in your ride?
G bodies will be a great source for some of the parts you seek. The power lock solenoids may be able to be adapted. I have been wanting to experiment with this, but I haven't had time yet. The underhood and trunk lights and underdash courtesy lights from a G body will work also. You can get the bigger front sway bar from an 81-92 F body (Camaro/Firebird) They have hollow 36 MM bars. You can also get the coolant recovery tank off it, it will fit a Chevelle inner fender and look like it belongs there. Take a tape measure for the fan. The one on my car is off a Cadillac believe it or not :).

·
Registered
927 Posts
Bigger sway bar from an 81-92 F-body?! I can't believe it's the same! I've never heard/read that before, I'll have to pick one up for my 68! I was going to suggest early 70s Monte Carlos, that's where I got mine for my 71. Those are some great tips Blue!

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I have one of those big sway bars for my 70 Chevelle and am told they will also fit the Caprice.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Zeke,

Just as a headsup, I was at the U-Pull It in Davie, off of 441, they had a bunch of late 60s A bodys, two 69 cutlasses, a 70-72 Monte, and a few others. Along with the usual 1/2 mile line of F-Bodys 3rd; a few 4th & 2nd gens. They also had a bunch of early 90s caprices.

So, if you do not find everything you need, maybe you can go to that one?

-Todd

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
i'll take another R200 4 trans for g/f's sbc into a jaguar (surely to be in the not to distant future)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ok... Hold the phone... I went and bought the front sway bar from an 82 Trans Am today, and I came home to do a search on tips for installing it, and no one has one, and if they do they haven't written about it. Everything that comes up when I search for F body sway bars, only says 70-81 sway bars only!

So my question is... How do you guys with the 3rd gen sway bar get it to work?

·
Registered
927 Posts
You can get the bigger front sway bar from an 81-92 F body (Camaro/Firebird) They have hollow 36 MM bars.
I was just going off this...Dumb... Oh well, at least it wasn't expensive... Maybe I can sell it on ebay...

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spent about three hours today. Got a pair of aluminum brake drums, a 1.25 inch sway bar, a trunk light, 17" clutch fan, and coolant recovery tank from a 3rd gen F body.

Todd, about 1/5 of the yard is GM stuff - mostly all eighties cars, It's $1 admission, but you can go in and out more than once. I found everything I was looking for, but I might still take a look at the one near Davie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts