Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through my 1968 SS's wiring the other day, and I decided that the previous owner had ripped so much that something is going to catch fire soon.
I have a couple extra circuits that need to be taken into account... MSD box and coil under the hood, 2 fuel pumps at the bumper, aftermarket stereo.
Should I go with a Painless universal system, or a repro style?

Thanks,

·
Registered
337 Posts
Definitely M&H.

SKIP

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tried to go to web site, it tried to change my home page, locked up my computer, and down loaded spyware. Thanks for the link! :eek:
Rob

·
Registered
337 Posts
M & H Wiring Fabricators. I've seen them advertise in Super Chevy. I used them for the harnesses in my Camaro. Everything was exactly right...colors, lengths, connectors, attachment points...good stuff. And yes they make modifications for HEI, internal regulator alternators, etc.

Sorry about your computer. I've never had that problem either...might have been the browser, not their site.

SKIP

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
The link works for me. I need to replace the interior harness in my 66SS. Its not quite hacked up but its original and there are a few wires that look like they could become a problem.

Chris.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Another vote for M&H here.
Just had to replace the wiring harness in my engine compartment of my 70 El Camino. Wires were the exact color as originals, same colored tracers and everything down to original style tape, sheathing, and connectors. They even had the metal mounting clips that went to my tranny bolts where it bolts up to the block. I did have one question where I called their tech line, someone answered right away and was very very knowledgeable and very friendly and helpful and told me where the wire went and what the factory originally did since my car had A/C and the wire wasnt used. Excellent quality and even better customer service.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
68SS454,
Talk to TOM, this guy knows his stuff. I was there today to see if they sell just strands of wire in any color and a few connectors. I was asking about the Chevelle eng. harness and he brought the wiring diagram up on the computer to show me what they include and what they will add for you. These guys have there #*+% together. Tom just gave me the parts I needed. Plus took me inside the shop, kind of a tour. Oh, and they DON'T really sell just strands of wire or hard to find connectors which they have . I was just lucky this time, but he did say let me know if you need something . Mention that you heard about them from Team Chevelle.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead...
Im finally getting around to ordering my harness (took long enough
), and now I have more accessories than before...

Will M&H be able to accomodate 2 fuel pumps, stereo, NOS solenoids, and an MSD 6AL box, into their harness?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Jason,
Your quest for a harness may be difficult to fill. M&H is the best choice for stock replacement and any custom work could get real pricy. I went with a Painless 'muscle car' and have been very happy because I had plenty of extra circuits to work with. As it was, there's no way I could have told someone exactly what I wanted in a harness... that was changing everytime I worked on the car. Power windows and locks, alarm, electric fans, fuel pump, sub-woofer amps... well you can go nuts. If you do go with Painless, make sure you keep your original harness because you are going to need connectors that may not come with the new harness. Also make sure you have a complete wiring diagram to your car (stock) The Painless 'muscle car' harness looks to most closely follow 68-70 Camaro as far as colors and layout. Hope this helps...
-Bill

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply doc,
The only concern I have with Painless is that I have to reuse my existing connectors... and some of the stock ones are broken or otherwise useless.

Any Idea where I can find those?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Jason,
I discovered that quite a few of the connectors are used in several places in the harness. For instance, the wide two pin connector on the back of an alternator is used in a couple of places on the heater control. You'll need some crimp-on 1/4" spade connectors - male and female, a proper crimp tool and a small flat blade screwdriver. A good electronic or auto parts store will have these. I disassembled my old connectors (release the pins with the small screwdriver) as needed and replaced the wiring and new spade connector. Even you can't find a proper plastic housing, you can use insulated 1/4" spade connectors to get by.
-Bill

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by docaudio:
Jason,
I discovered that quite a few of the connectors are used in several places in the harness. For instance, the wide two pin connector on the back of an alternator is used in a couple of places on the heater control. You'll need some crimp-on 1/4" spade connectors - male and female, a proper crimp tool and a small flat blade screwdriver. A good electronic or auto parts store will have these. I disassembled my old connectors (release the pins with the small screwdriver) as needed and replaced the wiring and new spade connector. Even you can't find a proper plastic housing, you can use insulated 1/4" spade connectors to get by.
-Bill
Thanks for the info..
The one Im really concerned about is my headlight switch.. the connector is broken in half, and while I was pulling the dash out once, it arced and caught fire
stupid me forgot to unhook the battery

·
Registered
495 Posts
Those are all standard .250" spade connectors. I counldn't use mine because of a speaker clearance problem (long story goes here, but will skip). Just make sure you've lined up your wiring to match the old connector. The best way I'd do that area is solder on new, un-insulated 1/4" spade plugs and then cover with heat shrink tubing. It makes for a very reliable and safe connection. If you do go the crimp-on style, but sure you give them a good yank before using to make sure the connector is solid.
-Bill

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went with Centech. But, I also replaced the stock fuse panel/junction with their smaller panel and put it in the glove box. If you are planning on a custom set up, I was on the phone with the guy (nice guy, patient guy) for about an hour explaining everything I wanted to do with the car, electric pump, upgraded alt., hei, msd box, you name it, he asked. 2 weeks later it arrived, all labled headlight to tail light. Now, as I said it is not pre-harnessed, I wanted it that way because I wanted to hide as much of the wiring as I could. Check it out.... http://www.centechwire.com/

·
Registered
650 Posts
Centech is a good one. I like their GV18 harness at:
http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/universal/gv18.shtml

They, along with several others, are the kind of wiring harness the street rodders use. They are more generic wiring harnesses, with newer style fuses, quality labeled wire, some have most connectors, and others may not have any. Most will have a GM style steering column connector though.

Another well known name in the street rod world is Haywire. I bought the wiring harness at:
http://haywireinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HI&Product_Code=E_SERIESD&Category_Code=WH
Their web site sux, but their products are well known quality stuff and their tech support is great.

Another one I like that gives you quality for little money is at:

http://www.kwikwire.com/22%20Circuit%20Page.htm

Finally, one of the best quality and well known and experienced company is American Autowire. I found one of their good harnesses at:

http://www.hotrodssuperstore.com/powplus18sys.html

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
One thing about M&H, they have all the connectors remanufactured, I saw drawers and drawers with these no longer available connectors. They did give me a few connectors I needed, over the counter for free. They have all of them for the Chevelle, all years. They have them made over sea's. Remember, ask for TOM, if you go with M&H, and also that you heard of them in Team Chevelle. They seem to like that. M&H will build what ever you need. You'll never know a price till you ask.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I always solder tint my wire ends before crimping so won't flatten out.And do pull test to make sure doesnt pull loose,found that if i don't somrtimes the wire might come loose later.Thanks for the harness info, fixing to do my 68.Just ordered the super chevy mag.finnally found one to get 2 yeat sub.Really liked the catalog sec group purchase at one time alot of places haven't heard of.Try to take notes of what i see and hear here thanks alot to all of TCers and Merry Christmas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts