Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I was looking at putting in a set of headers. However, today when i went to a couple shops to get quotes both told me i should stay with the stock exhaust manifolds unless i was doing some racing. I dont drag racr it but i would like it as a fun street car. I have a mildly built 350 and stock exhaust manifolds with straight pipes and flowmasters. I was looking at a $200 set at the most seeing as how i am in college and cant afford much. So go with heaaders or stay with stick manifolds? opinions please. thanks

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Where did you go and they told that? Go with headers, shortys if you have to.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Headers and a big set O turbo muffins!

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got a set from jegs for a big block ceramic coated for 209.00 smal block should be cheaper, and the ceramic is well worth the little extra. Or I have a set of used small blocks about 6 months if want to buy them cheap.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Hey Wally,,,I doubt very seriously that my Chevelle in street trim would run 12.81 if it had stock exhaust manifolds...street trim means street tires,headers,thru 2.5 exhaust pipe and mufflers...I would bet the loss thru exhaust manifolds would be at least 4-5 tenths...edit:I am currently running Hooker headers,,,never a problem with leaks at the flange or the collector,I tightened the header flange bolts 4-5 times after they had been warmed up...no special gaskets...and the collectors never leaked with the stock collector gaskets,no special gaskets there either...the only reason I am losing the Hookers is that they hang down too low,I am going with the dynomax ceramicoated headers.
------------------
Bob West
1972 Malibu
454+
TH350-3.73's
1.79 60 ft.
12.06 @ 112.89

[This message has been edited by Rapid Robert (edited 01-16-2002).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry Wally, Nothing beats a GOOD set of headers.....Any quality pair is an easy install if you follow the instructions.
Performance is always worth the hassles.

Wally is right about spending money on your girl......AS LONG AS THE GIRL HAS EIGHT CYLINDERS!!!!!

·
Registered
13,318 Posts
Ernest,
Trust me, for what you want, here is what will probably be the best for your $$$$$$$$.
Order a set of DYNOMAX ceramic coated from Summit. The phone is an 800 call, no tax, free shipping, price $209.
I have DYNOMAX on 3 of our cars and I have installed a few sets for other people. With a SB car, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RAISE THE ENGINE OR REMOVE THE ENGINE MOUNTS (just the plugs and dipstick tube). If you have factory air (69-72), you will also need to buy the lower compressor bracket (the stock bracket won't work). Don't use the gaskets which come with the headers. Invest in some quality gaskets such as a copper set.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 01-17-2002).]

·
wagons rule!
3,222 Posts
I fought the urge for a long time on street cars over the headers/ manifolds issue. I swore by manifold because they don’t leak they don’t emit sound through the firewall the don’t heat the engine compartment up as much, the plugs are easier to get to, and they preserve the stock appearance. But now I have changed my opinion. The sacrifices are worth the free extra power in my opinion on non-stock motors. I have improved the breathing of my motor by changing compression, carb, cam and heads therefore it would be stupid to restrict the breathing after all the other improvements. Also you might as well take advantage of the fact that you can put them on legally. An old chevelle is a car that legally has no restrictions on putting headers on like new emissions tested vehicles. But lastly get the ceramic-coated header!!!!!!! Non-ceramic header turn to crap almost before you even get them on in my opinion.
------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

[This message has been edited by FO_FDYFO (edited 01-17-2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wally:
All I ever hear on here are stories about headers hitting the steering, can't use the oil filter in stock location, can't be used with A/C.

You guys are the absolute masters of talking out both sides of your mouth at the same time.

I have never bought anything but quality headers. Two sets of Hookers on the 67, junk, and now a 700 dollar set of Sthal headers for the fastburn heads, and that's un-coated. So don't tell me about spending money on quality parts.

Headers on a car drivem 95% of the time on the street capped up is a waste of cash pain in the ass.

For $200 you might be able to take two girls out, double the fun.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, what crawled up your ... Never mind!! There are almost 10,000 possible posters here my friend. Think it's possible your confusing a handful that have had problems with a handful that have had great success with them?

Your personal experience is valued but attacking everyone on the site isn''t!!

------------------
...Dennis
The '69 & the '96
Team Camaro
Camaros Limited

·
Registered
291 Posts
If this topic is a waste if bites, then stop adding to it with insults as$hole.
When installed correctly with quality parts headers will (I dare say) never give you trouble. PS: this CAN be done without spending a fortune. $700 is rediculess.
Bill

·
wagons rule!
3,222 Posts
wow, someone missed a shrink appointment. I'm going to act like I did not even read that. you can voice your opinion how ever you want, but doing it with class will take your opinion much further. anyone reading this will discount yours by now. I am willing to discuss and debate any issues in a civil manor. and back accusations up by facts. you make a point that at low rpm headers do not offer much improvement. well the fact of the matter, they do offer some improvement. the amount of improvement depends on your engine combination. and true, what rpm range you are interested in. that has been proven. and if I wanted to take the time I could provide dyno results. the other point is maybe on your small blocks it is not significant, but on 468 cubic inches exhaust breathing is more critical. after all an engine is just an air pump. try running a marathon breathing through a straw. I agree headers are a pain in the ass. but if you have a modified engine and you want it to perform better headers will help if you can live with the down sides. and that's what people are doing here explaining both sides of headers. one last point is I don't know about you, but even on my street cruiser, I am very often mashing the pedal and bringing the rpms up and appreciate the added power. if you think headers don't increase the delivered power you need to do some research. the real question after taking everything into consideration is, what do you want out of your street combination ? and is it worth it.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I currently dont run headers but I still have this pain in my a$$...whats this mean?

I plan to go to the dynomax ceramics here pretty soon. Granted, I may fry wires, have to replace gaskets and such but IMO, the sound, running to an X pipe, all that good stuff not to mention the look in the engine bay. I can deal with the headaches, if not, back go the manifolds that will be blasted and painted while the headers are on.

Wally, a little out of character man. I think we can write it off as just a bad day for the man..either that or he's hitting the Kentucky Windage

------------------
'70 SS 396
4spd, 4.10's and a smile
TC# 1341
Beaux

"You're just jealous because the little voices are talking to me"

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I'm going with the 'headers on everything' crowd! I'll also suggest the Dyno-Max coated headers. You get a lot for money!
Now, most 'problems' with headers stem from these 3 things:
1) Poor quality headers - bad fit.
2) Use of cheap gaskets that don't last
3) improper insatllation

Buy some good header bolts
Buy GOOD gaskets (more than $20)
Buy copper collector gaskets and DON'T over- torque them!

And if you do run into a fit problems along the way, you know what? So do thousands of other folks. Work through it and don't let it bother you. Like it might some other people!

Hey, if it was easy, women and children would be doing it!

·
Registered
214 Posts
You are going to have to have your exhaust cut to fit the headders BTW so that will add to the cost. Headders arnt going to really give much of a performance gain IMO on a mild motor and beings you arnt racing dont need to wory about droping a tenth in the 1/4. You gota be more carefull with your plug wires and ground clearance might be a problem. Get ceramic coated if you get em. Dynomax offers a life time waranty on thier coated against rustthrough. The nice thing about headders is your car will sound better and look better to most people if you have ceramic coated and if you modify your motor much you my get to the point were you need them a bit more. Headders will definatly not hurt performance and they will transfer to another smallblock if you upgrade or do many more mods. Headders are a good project for someone to do as a first modification to get thier hands dirty. You gota decide what is important to you and if the pros out weight the cons. It all comes down to your budjet but for ceramic coated headders(I wouldnt bother with anything else especially on a daily driver) after you buy everything and have a shop alter your exhaust will run you more than 200$(you might come out close if you buy a set used) Sorry if I didnt really give you an answer

Philip

·
Registered
26 Posts
i say go with the headers, change your manifold if you want to.

------------------
"Listenin' to tires shout is what it's all about!"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.