Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini booklet done by Car Craft and Hot Rod called "Power Tips". I want to get a little extra boost out of my 283 and was wondering if anyone has tryed these tips. Just the thought of Hot Rod doing something for free sounds kinda fishy to me. This was from October 98. Also what would be the best cam for my 283(bored .30 over) nothin' real special. I'm interested in Comp Cams since I heard Crane Cams was going out of business. This car will be a daily driver, but I still want some kick in my car.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
socalrat,
I have read some of these tips and they sound worthy.I would run something like a 482 lift ,292 duration cam for everyday use, maybe some rhodes lifters to give vacuum n idle quality,and some low end.also good valve springs.283,s are very strong when built right. well hope this helps.oh yea, comp cams are good quality.but I dont think crane is going under.are they? 67rat member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 07-08-99).]

·
Registered
687 Posts
I picked the cam for my neighbors 30 over 283 and it ran very strong and got decent gas mileage too in his 67 chevelle.It was an Iskyderian hydraulic part# ISK201284-6 in the summit cat..510 lift with 236 dur @50.It sounded great and ran great too.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
TC #127

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
67RAT,rat brother, yeah I heard that Crane was going out of business from a buddy that builds cams and has friends that work for Winston Cup. All the camshafts are made by one company(can't remember the name) then each company(Comp,Crane,etc) put their own little twist to it. Thanks for the info. I also heard if I put too big of a cam in my engine will bog down early on. Is this true?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ran Rhoades lifters in my 454 and didn't like the noise they made.

Yeah, I know they're supposed too, cause they bleed down... It's just they sounded like hydraulics that were TOO loose (and YES, they WERE adjusted correctly) . And NO, they didn't sound like a solid lifter (cam) either, I know what that sound is like... (sweet).

Crane (and others) are supposed to make a similar type lifter which aren't as noisy as the Rhoades are.

Thanks, Len

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ran a the Edelbrock Performer cam in my 283 and it worked great compared to stock. It really opened up the top end without sacrificing low end torque.

It was installed with an Edelbrock RPM intake 625 AFB and hooker 1,5/8" primary tube headers.

------------------
Long time Chevelle fan and an owner since 1973

[This message has been edited by Bill64EC (edited 07-09-99).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also looking for the right cam for my 283(64SS). Mine is 60 over with TRW forged pistons. The rotating unit is all balanced. I didn’t know if the small valves on the stock 283 would work with a cam in the .500 lift range. The intake valves are only 1.720.
Bill, you mention the Eldelbrock Performer cam. Was that the Performer plus or the performer RPM?
I was thinking of going with a cam of 214 / 224 @50. Valve lifts of 443 & 465

·
Registered
54 Posts
The old 327 350hp hydraulic would be just
about right for a street driven 283.
I think there's a blueptint series cam from Crane and Comp Cam. With 3.42, 3.55 or
3.73 gears this should really turn on
between 2500 rpm to 5000 rpm. I know it's
old technology, but it works.(and sounds
really hi po!)Competition Cams Part #12-106-3
is the replacment for GM 3863151.
Duration @ .050 222 intake and exhaust
Gross valve lift .447 intake and exhaust
Sorry this is all the spec's I have.
A huge cam is really going to kill your bottom end, sometimes less is more.
Joe B

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
67RAT, have you personally run the Rhodes? I haven't but a few engine builders I know refuse to run them. One said " I guarantee my motors so I don't put sh&$ ij them!" FWIW.

Crane just bought Comp Cams so, while the industry is consolidating, I certainly don't think Crane is going under. Companies that buy other companies with cash, usually aren't going under. If anything the consolidation further assures Cranes future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.