1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
We'll see how it pan's out for GM. They have to learn to bend over backwards including unwinding a sale to keep customer's happy. Like the offshore companies, they have to be willing to pay customers not to say a bad word about them.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I wish them well but that is one ugly SOB.

Reactions: 68-13427

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
GM's arrogance comes shining through , is all I see. Oh, and one FUGLY ride.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
One has to wonder who gives these models the nod for production. Whoever it is should have been fired in the late 1970's.
A design approval doesn't come easy, I'm sure it's a long series of meetings where designers and managers get together for a look-see and discussion. That makes it even more difficult to comprehend. Just imagine this event where the higher uppers get together, the designers unveil the final prototype, everybody goes oooh and aaah and clap their hands, and the car is... a Pontiac Aztec. That's material for "The Simpsons".

·
Premium Member
6,702 Posts
Do these companies make electric cars ugly hoping normal people won't want them?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
What people fail to see with the electric stuff is that it needs to be powered by something, most power plant run on some kind of fossil fuel, so if everyone switches over then the power grid it will be over taxed and then we all pay more for electricity.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A design approval doesn't come easy, I'm sure it's a long series of meetings where designers and managers get together for a look-see and discussion. That makes it even more difficult to comprehend. Just imagine this event where the higher uppers get together, the designers unveil the final prototype, everybody goes oooh and aaah and clap their hands, and the car is... a Pontiac Aztec. That's material for "The Simpsons".

The funny thing about the Aztek was that when it was shown as a concept vehicle at shows, it got a LOT of positive responses. It was only after they put them into production that public sentiment seemed to turn against them, and then they became like Nickelback, it became fashionable to hate them. I personally don't care for the look, but in this case, it was, it seems GM kind of got mislead by actual public response. The Lyriq is just flat out fugly though. I wouldn't drive that thing if you GAVE it to me.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
A design approval doesn't come easy, I'm sure it's a long series of meetings where designers and managers get together for a look-see and discussion.

That was the old way!

New way:

1) Take photo of any current late model CRV in 4/3 format.

2) Display photo in 16/9 format.

Meeting adjourned!

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
254 Posts
I have to admit that after seeing the comments about this car, I opened the link to it and, to my surprise, I didn’t think it looked all THAT bad. I feel fortunate that I grew up in the 50’s and it was awesome seeing the new models from all auto makers...exciting is the word! Not so much today for sure! But, taken as a whole the Lyriq really doesn’t “look” bad, but what I hate is all the bells & whistles features manufacturers think are cool that really are NOT cool! They are just cheap gimmicks to make the car stand out in their minds.

Things have definitely changed over the years, but some things remain the same in GM and other companies! I used to work for GM in the 60’s & 70’s and I can clearly remember the new white Chevrolet Vega in the plant cafeteria to show it off! They just severely underpowered that thing and by the time they upped the engine specs it was too late. Even John DeLorean couldn’t save it!

Speaking of John D., I think you might now have figured out why he left GM! Timing can make the difference between success & failure and we all know that the DeLorean hit the market at a bad time in 1981, just like the BMW 2002 Turbo in 1974!

It will be interesting to watch the Lyriq!

·
Premium Member
8,512 Posts
I didn't read the whole article but it said it was a show car and not a production vehicle so I don't think ot will make it into production looking like that.(at least I hope not) What people say at these car shows are what they pay attention to.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,229 Posts
I don't hate it. At least it isn't the typical unrecognizable bubble shape. The interior is cool looking.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,229 Posts
It's great that GM is investing $2.2 billion in new technology and bringing jobs back to detroit.

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
I actually specialize in bashing GM/Cadillac, however I got admit it looks pretty good. I’m sure however it will be plagued with the typical GM problems anyway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts