Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious... is this a GM or reproduction mirror? How can I tell?
This is off my current 69 Chevelle.
Personal computer Computer Laptop Hood Communication Device

Automotive tire Material property Rim Eyewear Wood

Hood Water Automotive design Automotive lighting Kitchen utensil

Eyewear Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Bumper Wood

·
Registered
Vancouver BC Canada
1,696 Posts
Not sure what year that is ...it looks to be square later model type? 69 being first year for them...Could be a replacement...But remember they didn't have the Chevy Bowtie on them...well not at first? many repros do...not sure why if they weren't in the first place...Hoping someone can dig me out of this hole I am in now...? It does have the correct amount of numbers for a GM part number...I am just not sure as I have a 68 book.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,762 Posts
I have 69 style repops on my 68 and they don't have the Fin line down the back edge and all the repops I've looked at didn't either but it's possible the mirrors you have came from another model GM ??

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is that the date code on the mirror Dec 68 which would make it a GM piece? I'd have to look at mine since i still have the original piece.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,762 Posts
Are your mirrors round or rectangle? 68 had round 69 were rect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Are your mirrors round or rectangle? 68 had round 69 were rect.
It is rectangular. It is off my 69. (Driver's side)
I just don't know if it's original or not because of that thin fin like line going along the front edge of it.
It looks original to me, though.

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
I think the OP's mirror is an orig. GM just not from a Chevelle because of the fin

·
Super Moderator
4,816 Posts
I have 69 style repops on my 68 and they don't have the Fin line down the back edge and all the repops I've looked at didn't either but it's possible the mirrors you have came from another model GM ??
Rick the repops come with or without the rib (fin). I still have my original 68 and selected the same one as it had with the rib.. Regardless pretty much useless IMO due to the small size. 69's are slightly bigger. The after market passenger side is totally useless and there mostly to just keep me from hitting the garage door backing out.

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
I've learned something new to me (y) I bought 69 repop mirrors for my 68 since they're bigger but I'll be replacing them with Morris mirrors one of these days, very low on the "Punch Out" list lol

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
That is a casting mold parting line. How much of it would remain on a finished new mirror depended entirely on how aggressive the worker was in smoothing it up before sending the part to plating.

On original 66-67 mirrors (which have the same base as the 68 and 69 mirrors), some have the parting line and some don't. Donnelly Mfg. (that's what the DMI on the glass means) made the mirror glass and assembled the mirrors, as well as at least two other suppliers. But I believe that the bases were cast and supplied by sub-suppliers (and at least 2 or 3 different ones), because there are different casting numbers and other mold-maker marks on some originals than on others, and some of them have the parting line and some don't.

I have always heard the 69-70 concours resto folks say that a 69-70 mirror MUST have the parting line to be original, but I am not so sure that is true, given that the same suppliers were involved as with 66-67 mirrors, and the base is the same part ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a casting mold parting line. How much of it would remain on a finished new mirror depended entirely on how aggressive the worker was in smoothing it up before sending the part to plating.

On original 66-67 mirrors (which have the same base as the 68 and 69 mirrors), some have the parting line and some don't. Donnelly Mfg. (that's what the DMI on the glass means) made the mirror glass and assembled the mirrors, as well as at least two other suppliers. But I believe that the bases were cast and supplied by sub-suppliers (and at least 2 or 3 different ones), because there are different casting numbers and other mold-maker marks on some originals than on others, and some of them have the parting line and some don't.

I have always heard the 69-70 concours resto folks say that a 69-70 mirror MUST have the parting line to be original, but I am not so sure that is true, given that the same suppliers were involved as with 66-67 mirrors, and the base is the same part ...
Great info! Thank you. I know the mirrors on my last 69 didn't have the parting lines on either driver or passenger side mirrors, and those were original mirrors on it. It was a Baltimore built car. When I seen the parting line on my current Chevelle (Fremont built car) it made me question if the mirror was original or reproduction, because I've never seen one with that line before, but from everything I've researched over the last few days, it appears to be original.

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
Thank You Jeff 👍🙂

1 - 15 of 15 Posts