Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you consider a car is a collection of parts from hundreds of manufacturers, and that when GM sells you a part it's one it obtains from another company in most cases, here's a wiring harness they are offering on GM Performance Parts, and which I found on GMPartsdirect.com for 297.04 (plus a high handling and shipping fee)

I know that this would be cheaper through some third party vendors, but for someone that feels better ordering a new harness "from GM"

GM PART # 12355693
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $424.34
OUR PRICE: $297.04
DESCRIPTION: HARNESS - 18-circuit system
This basic 18-circuit system is wired for:

- Air Conditioning and Heat
- Brake Lights
- Coil
- Electric Fan
- Emergency Flashers
- Gauges / Dash Instruments
- Headlights
- Horn
- Radio
- Turn Signals
- Wipers
- Dome Light
- Third Brake Light

PLUS
- Cigarette Lighter
- Power Windows
- Power Door Locks
- Electric Fuel Pump
- Backup Lights / Cruise Control
- Speakers

Technical Notes:
These universal systems will rewire any car or truck - street, race, or off-road - using a GM-keyed column and have extra long wire to accommodate nearly any application. It is recommended they be offered for discontinued factory harnesses no longer serviced

Steve

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
GMdirect is not GM. They are Flow Chevy in North Carolina. Just another Chevy dealership with new and used cars for sale.
I've bought several items from Flow without a problem but sounds like they are starting to sell aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sounds like a description for Painless Wiring

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
©2004 - Flow Chevrolet, LLC - All Rights Reserved. GMPartsDirect.com is independently owned and operated by Flow Chevrolet, LLC,
an authorized independent reseller of General Motors Parts. This site is not owned or operated by General Motors Corporation

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
gmpartsdirect is not GM but the harness has a GM part #. So what does that mean, is it really coming from GM, GM supplier?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Aren't there other aftermaket parts sold with GM part numbers? GM does have licensing agreements with several suppliers. It does sound like a Painless harness. Wonder if they formed an agreement with GM to produce aftermaket harnesses with GM style packaging.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the wiring harness on GM Performance Parts web site.

I only used GMPartsdirect as a source to purchase the GM part # from since they are usually the cheapest for GM part #s

Technically this is a GM part, however, as with most of their parts, it's probablty an aftermarket company or contracted harness as you pointed out.

I beleieve that most of their GM restoration parts are aftermarket as well. In fact I was told that from a parts counter guy when asking about some parts that I wanted to make sure were high quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts