Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that they have been out awhile I am wondering how they are doing? I have heard and read about problems with carbon build up on the valves?
Thoughts? Experiences? Thinking about purchasing a Buick with one.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
My wife drives an 09 Enclave that we bought new. I just replaced an ignition coil last night (120K). It was the first engine related issue we've had. The car was rock solid until about 85K and we've spent about $5000 in repairs since then. In order to inspect the valves you have to take off the intake manifold to get the bore scope down the throat, but it is easier than you might think. I was dreading changing a spark plug (which we replaced at the 100K mile maintenance appointment) or having a burnt valve because of the issue you read about, but it was just an ignition coil going bad. So an easy fix for us, and I am just one data point, but so far so good at 120K. We are going to ride the vehicle until it cries uncle.

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
we've spent about $5000 in repairs since then..
Is that a misprint ???? I don't think I have spent that much money on both of our daily drivers and they have over 220K each on them, What in the world has happened to it that cost that much ????

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Fair question.
Although I don't have a GM direct injection V6, I do have a direct injection VW 2 litre gas turbo 4. Experience with mine shows that indeed they do carbon up the valves, and I don't drive like a granny.
I'd like to see how people's experience is with the GM V6.

·
Premium Member
8,110 Posts
My experience with the 5.3 direct injection is yes they can carbon up the valves the engine venting /pcv orfice is to blame pumps a lot of oil/ condensation directly into intake DI makes it worse especially cold climates where water vapor mixes with oil residue and really gums up the valves ....... aftermarket oil separator catch can helps a lot even the pre direct injection LS motors with the pvc orfice venting benefit from an oil separator catch can you would not believe the oil / water vapor you drain out of can at oil change time looks like caramel pudding

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
the v6 3.0 l and 3.6l is one of the best engines made by gm.trouble free for the most part.been in the equinox since 2010 and cadillacs.impala 2012 and ahead.All i can remember doing is a high pressure pump on one and a cam accuator,thats in 6 years.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Is that a misprint ???? I don't think I have spent that much money on both of our daily drivers and they have over 220K each on them, What in the world has happened to it that cost that much ????
Sorry I just saw this. Off the top of my head, the steering pump quit, the master cylinder started leaking, the rear AC went out, the strut braces failed, and the transmission puked (that was a GM waveplate problem so it was free). And the seat heater died, and my wife demands her warm rear end. Nothing else will do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts