Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a B&M Unimatic Automatic Shifter(#80775) from Don @ Sallee Chevrolet Friday for out new GM 4L60 4 speed automatic overdrive for our '69 El Camino (note that it is not the 4L60E computer model). It is a cable operated shifter. He said his options were limited from his suppliers, as we don't want a center console. It looks like a well built unit, but will it last (It is a B&M).

As always, any info on this unit will be greatly appreciated.

Richard and Judy White, MAXX2
Member #341

------------------

·
Registered
994 Posts
Richard & Judy, I don't know about the Unimatic, but if it's anything like the B&M Quick Silver I had in my 67 Elcamino, then you'll enjoy many trouble free years of service. In 16 years, I Never had a problem with it.
My old Quick Silver shifter didn't have a 4th gear detent to accomendate the 4L60, so I replaced it with a new B&M Hammer.
Also, Elcamino's came with 4 speed, floor shift, bench seat options. Ausleys sells a replacement hump for $30 & carpet to match.
If done properly you can install the B&M shifter with the carpet all the way up to the shifter bezel. I've seen this done on a 70 Elcamino SS[i/] and it looked like a factory job! I'll be doing this to my 67 Elcamino this spring. the results may be different though due to the size of the transmission tunnel?!?
BTW - The 67 Elcamino you picked up is Beautifull!
Ausleys web page: www.chevelle.com

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 12-19-99).]

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 12-19-99).]

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hey cardiac how does your hammer shifter work, I had one on my 700 and I can't express how much I hate that shifter. If you have a good park you can't get low. I adjusted it for hours and had other reputable mechanic freids screw with it and no luck. When I bought the shifter the quicksilver was'nt out yet for the 700R so I bought the hammer. After the quicksilver came out I bought it and it works great, I would sugest it for this tranny. I have'nt called B&M yet but I'm pretty sure I will have to eat the hammer.

------------------
Chevyman

·
Registered
994 Posts
Mine Works great

what btacket are you using on the tranny? It should be the "L" shaped one and use the 2nd hole. This will give you full travel on the cable.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I used every bracket configuration, in every hole imaginable, and it still never worked well. Sometimes it would get park and low but not as solid as it should be, the quicksilver is 10 times smother and every gear is where it should be, and you don't have that worthless lever you have to pull up to get it in gear.

------------------
Chevyman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.