Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI GUY'S ANY ONE KNOW WERE I CAN BUY A GM 396 375 HP SOLID LIFT CAM TRYED CRANES 396 375 CAM SPECS ARE NOT THE SAME :(DOE'SNT HIT OR SOUND THE SAME THE CAMSHAFT GM SELLS NOW THAT USED TO COME IN THE LS-6 IS NOT THE SAME CAM ETHER THE SPECS ARE DIFFERENT AND HAVE TRYED IT TO NOT THE SAME HIT OR SPECS ETHER ALWAYS USED THE ORIGINAL GM 396 375 CAM AND ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK IN POWER AND THE SOUND CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY THEY QUIT SELLING THE ORIGINAL AND NOW CLAIM THE LS 6 CAMSHAFT IS THE SAME WHEN IT IS'NT IF ANYONE KNOWS WERE I CAN BUY ONE FROM LET ME KNOW :thumbsup: THANKS JIMMY

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
Might toss in a comma or period here and there so we know when to pause and take a breath. Netiquette also considers ALL CAPS shouting and kind of hard to read. :thumbsup:

Most major cam makes will grind you a cam to any specs you wish. Have you personally contacted any of them such as Comp Cams or Lunati?

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
Might want to check the www.yenko.net web site. Someone has had batches of these cams made to the old Crane spec. for the replacement cam. Rob Clary might be able to put you on the right path. I run my lifter clearances at .022" - .024" which you are only getting .496" and .498" lift. Not very much but this cam is pretty gentle on the valve train and the light valve springs are still good for 6000 redline. Our old 427 went close to 200K miles with this setup and the cam still looked half decent.

·
Premium Member
28,903 Posts
Jimmy...what are you talking about :confused:
The LS6/L72/L78 are ALL the same solid lifter camshaft and the one the Crane makes is the same spec: its 242 @.050 .520/.520 114 LSA
Here it is: http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=969961&dds=1

its called the "143 grind" (143 refers to the last 3 digits of the original GM part number)

Here it is ground by Comp,notice the specs are the same as the Crane,which is the same as GM:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ad7b5f8f7

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
I think you will find that these Crane cams have a little extra area under the curve. Rob Clary has his certified stock 427 running in the 11s now I believe using this cam. I bought one a couple of years ago when they were still available from Crane.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
HI GUY'S ANY ONE KNOW WERE I CAN BUY A GM 396 375 HP SOLID LIFT CAM TRYED CRANES 396 375 CAM SPECS ARE NOT THE SAME :(DOE'SNT HIT OR SOUND THE SAME THE CAMSHAFT GM SELLS NOW THAT USED TO COME IN THE LS-6 IS NOT THE SAME CAM ETHER THE SPECS ARE DIFFERENT AND HAVE TRYED IT TO NOT THE SAME HIT OR SPECS ETHER ALWAYS USED THE ORIGINAL GM 396 375 CAM AND ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK IN POWER AND THE SOUND CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY THEY QUIT SELLING THE ORIGINAL AND NOW CLAIM THE LS 6 CAMSHAFT IS THE SAME WHEN IT IS'NT IF ANYONE KNOWS WERE I CAN BUY ONE FROM LET ME KNOW :thumbsup: THANKS JIMMY
Hi Jimmy, the 396"/375 HP and the LS-6 454 cams are one and the same, we still use/sell about 15 or 20 per year, in kit form (cam/lifters), on the resto's. The G.M. part number is 3863143!

We use them in conjunction with the original "Johnson" tappets!

They remain one of the best sellers of all times still!

(Add) Quite few years back we used one in 454" powered (all LS-6 components, down to this very cam) 3250# '69 Camaro and got many 9.85 timeslips. G.M. made a very smart move when they put that cam together, even though the "net-lift" (.500") was fairly short by today's standards!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you have trouble finding the correct one contact me with an e-mail, I know I have at least a dozen or so on hand at all times!

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Same cam we installed in the 469", Comp 11-106-3. Set up the springs for 110 seat.
Hi Joe, don't know if you still run those numbers, if so, you may want to re-evaluate your spring program??

I have another post up here somewhere about one of the "FAST" class cars, an LS-6 to be exact, that required 145#/150# (nom) to get to pull good in the 6500 RPM area. This was a 2.190"/1.880", 3/8" stem, Chrome-Moly retainer deal.

(Add) Another issue I'd like to address here, specific to the BB valve springs. Try to avoid using spring O.D.'s that do not sit comfortably in the OEM spring pockets. Many vendors recommend using the 1.500"/1.510" (nom) O.D. springs and they just "move around" too much at the bottoms. We tend to use the 928's (1.550" O.D.) or the 929's (1.535" O.D.) on most flat-tappet BB's. Occasionally with the 928's we will machine a "relief" cut at the first and second coils of the spring pockets. This helps relieve "heat build-up" on the
"sides" of these lower coils by eliminating some "scrubbing"!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. That 110# number is really too low even on a SB with smaller valves (than the BB's). We prefer a minimum of 130# with the SB flat-tappet platform!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts