Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question, but, how do I remove the glovebox lock from the glovebox door?

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Do a search on Team Chevelle as one of the members posted complete instructions on this job. I used them and found them to be just right. Not sure if it made it into a Tech Ref topic or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just swapped one from a 73 imapala to my 69 today at lunch. if you have the key, pop chrome thing off with screwdriver. loosen retaining ring(outside of door/counterclockwise).insert key and pull tumbler out with key installed. watch that brass codes dontfly out at you. hope this helps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Whoa, whoa! Don't pop the chrome thing off. There are little nubs on the back that are staked over. Popping it off will make it harder to get it back on and have it stay on.

If you have the door open, it is easy to get the cylinder out. Put in the key. Looking down from the top, there is a little slit with a gray tab in it. With an improvised tool, press that tab down while easily pulling on the chrome knob from the front. Once the gray tab clears, you should see brass ones. They should clear if you have the key in but you may have to press them down also. Pull the cylinder out and make sure you don't drop it or the brass tabs that set the key pattern will go all over. Wrap it with tape until you need to put it back.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you buy a shop manual, they detail the removal of the lock and many other items people often ask " how do you do this..."

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hangten, I own a Cassis Service Manual, Chassis Overhaul Manual,and Chiltons manual for my 70 SS. I couldnt find any info in these sources on how to remove the lock. Which manual are you talking about? Besides, I thought this web site was designed for people to ask advice on how to do things.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
If you look around on the site you will find the link to Gene McGill's excellent instructions; it is posted in one of the other areas now. Or do a search on Gene's name find it that way.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I used the instructions and it was easy. Kevin

------------------
Kevin Barry
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Green Mist/Dark Green Top

1 - 10 of 10 Posts