Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the correct bulb for the glove box on a 70? I tested the socket with a light and there is power there but the bulb wont light. It has a 14V 7 watt bulb. I replaced it with a new one and still wont work.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
do you own a owners manual?

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
It's a #1893 bayonet bulb.

If the dash pad is still off you can pull off the connector that has the orange (constant +12v power) and black (dedicated ground) and check the connection for power.

If the dash pad is on, you can remove the Phillips screw and try to carefully lower the bulb holder and pull the wiring down with it and check for power. Just don't loose the wiring if it wants to pop back up, then you'll have to pull off the pad again.

The last one I worked on was a friend's 70SS. I pulled the holder apart (carefully) and did a driveway rebuild of it right there and then. The spring inside developed corrosion on the end and wouldn't allow the light to receive power.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pat, make sure you have a good ground. Not to hijack the post, but how did you do on the dash lights?

David,

They are better than they were before. There is one I just cannot get to work no matter what I try, so I will just have to live with the way they are :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a #1893 bayonet bulb.

If the dash pad is still off you can pull off the connector that has the orange (constant +12v power) and black (dedicated ground) and check the connection for power.

If the dash pad is on, you can remove the Phillips screw and try to carefully lower the bulb holder and pull the wiring down with it and check for power. Just don't loose the wiring if it wants to pop back up, then you'll have to pull off the pad again.

The last one I worked on was a friend's 70SS. I pulled the holder apart (carefully) and did a driveway rebuild of it right there and then. The spring inside developed corrosion on the end and wouldn't allow the light to receive power.

I checked the connection when I had the pad off and there was power. And if I put the test light in the actual light socket there is power, but just no light when I put a bulb in. One thing that seemed odd is there is power at the socket regardless if the button is pushed in or not (as if the glove box door was closed) so maybe a ground issue?

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
If you used a test light and connected it right at the black and orange wires at the socket connector, and the light lit, both power and ground connection is good.

If you just checked for power, but used another ground source as a reference, then yes, there could be a black wire ground issue.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea..I had my test light grounded on the dash frame. Will look at the ground. But not going to dig too much for a glove box light?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts