Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I went to lunch with a buddy of mine in a late 80's Honda. He mentioned that the reason it got so hot in that car as opposed to modern cars was that newer cars have a UV coating on/in the glass that older cars do not have.

So... I'm assuming that this is not the same as the average 'complies with VESC-20' tint I've had on several cars; I'm not looking to make the windows dark, I just want my black vinyl interior to not remove portions of my skin during the summer.

Anyone know of a way to add this UV protection?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. Perhaps he was thinking of "solar ray" windshields that are available on some cars--usually as an option. That's the stuff that has metallic dust in the laminate.

A similar type of tint is available aftermarket that isn't very dark. It's advertised to reduce heat rays up to 75%. I have that on one of my cars, but I question the 75% reduction, although there is a noticeable difference.

As far as old versus modern cars...keep in mind that tinted glass from the factory was an option, including 1980 Hondas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts