Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '69 convertible has clear glass all around. It seems the rear hard glass curtain is available tinted, so that's what I bought. I need to replace the windshield and would like to put in a tinted one and eventually change the rest of the glass as well. My question is, will this adversely affect the car's value, and will I eventually run up to a dead end trying to locate tinted convertible quarter glass? Seems everyone looks at you like you've got two heads whenever you ask for anything to fit a 30 yr. old convertible.
Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cool, we have the same car! I plan on having my windshield replaced with a tinted piece and then have the rest of the glass tinted with solar film. We can't go very dark up here in the Motor City with the tint,the Police can write you a ticket.. I don't see how adding tinted glass could hurt the value of your car, especially with global warming.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tom, do you find that you're car gets the thumbs up from people you meet? Maybe it's because my car is a metallic red, but I'll be driving down the road and kids on bicycles, joggers, even old ladies say "nice car!" I think it may have something to with it not being a common car. I know you don't see many Chevelles on the street nowadays, but I can't remember ever seeing many '69 ragtops.
How about you?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Our car is a shade darker than Butternut yellow, the color itself attracts some attention, but I think that the 454 and the rumpity rump cam have some say in the attraction dept! We bought our car up in Chatham, Ontario and it came with a Canadian build sheet that the past owner bought from GM of Canada. The document claims my car was one of 787 built in Canada with the same model number, so I guess these cars aren't all over the place!

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 69 convertible has a tinted windshield, tinted (soft ray) door glass, and clear quarter windows (don't hardtop quarter windows fit a convertible?) with DARK tint film. Tom, I live in Dearborn and have never had any trouble with the men in blue over my window tint. But then again, I don't usually have the windows up (cause the tops always down). Also I get the thumbs up everywhere I go in this car (Matador red with black 70 style SS stripes). Just today I dropped a friend off at Metro airport and I had a Wayne County Sheriff wave me to a stop just so he could look at my car and tell me how much he liked it. According to the info I got, not counting Canadian cars, Chevrolet made a shade over 1/2 a million 69 Chevelle's with a little less then 9,000 of them being convertibles. That's over 50 hardtops to every convertible made! And you don't see a lot of hardtops around now, so ragtops are even more scarce.

Dave

------------------
Team Chevelle #373
69 SS Convertible

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes and after this much time, many convertibles may have succumbed to their inherent rust problems. I bought my car because it was actually pretty rust free, but got it at a low price because it had a broken front control arm mount making it undrivable at the time. Also, the car had been in a rear end collision at some time which bent the chassis up in the R/rear. The "body shop" did the body work w/o straightening the chassis.
I've since had the mount welded and the chassis straightened (among many other things)but I'm still hopeful that I'll someday find the rear of the body that it really should have to do it right. It's still a great looking car till then.
Can you guys post pictures of your cars?
Thanks
Rich

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
RT: I think that the general rule on the tinted glass is that all air conditioned cars got tinted glass, while the tint is an option for non-AC cars. SO,,, tinted glass would not be unusual or detrimental on your car.

[This message has been edited by JWagner (edited 10-17-99).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Changed my 68 convertibles side glass and had no problem locating new tinted glass. $550 I think for 4 side windows.Looks real good!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
just for info hardtop and convertibles have different quarter glass, they will not interchange. Door glass is the same however.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.