Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on having the windshield replaced in my 69. After 30 years, at night it's getting to be quite blinding. Older vehicles like Chevelles used a butyl rubber sealer, etc. What happens if the shop tries to use modern tech to install it?? Will it still seat correctly? Is this not recommended? I know nothing about windshields and the various installation methods, so I'm trying to find out if I have to find a shop that's experienced in doing older cars. Any help??

For anyone who's interested, the plan is to install 70 glass with the embedded antenna so I can get rid of the fender antenna. I read here that this type is available.

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
Try and find someone who is experianced in the older type installations and takes care to do it right. I don't know where the windsheild on my 79 was installed, but they covered up the vin with the sealer. Do a little research on using the windsheild antenna, there are some parts under the dash pad to get a cable connected to it and make sure they will fit into your 69.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I just put one of the windshields with the internal antenna in a 1969 el camino. The antenna was added to the windshield in 1970, so there is no problem putting one in your 1969. Just make sure that the 70 and later used the same glass as your 69 when you order it. There were significant body differences between the el camino I worked on and a 69 hardtop.
You will need the body connecter with the antenna lead that gets you inside the car. The EC that I worked on was stamped on the cowl for the antenna connector, so I only had to drill the hole. (Chevy knew that this antenna was coming out already when they built the 69 bodies.)
All the older GM cars used the butyl rubber bead you talk of. Ever wonder why all Chevelles are rusted out around the rear and often front windows? This poor seal is the reason.
I would never consider redoing the glass in an older car with original type seal.
I have done numerous windows, and I did all of them with the new Urethane windshield sealers that come in a tube. They work and don't leak later.
I just had a long talk with a retired Auto Glass shop owner last week, and he recommended nothing but Urethane sealers for these older cars. What matters more, originality, or water-tight?
Also, consider doing the work yourself. Nobody cares about your car more than you do, so nobidy will do a better job than you will.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.