Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Cleaner for 30 years of build up

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  BC 
#1 ·
I have got my front and rear glass out of my car. What can i use to clean the stains and heavy deposits on the rear glass where the water has laid for a long time. It looks like water deposit stains. Any info will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
I do windshield repair and I also buff scratches. I often get calls to remove acid rain spots from glass. Most times the car has been parked where a sprinkler sprays the car and the beads of water act as little magnifying glasses in the sun and bake spots into the glass. You have to be real careful but I use white wall cleaner that I get from a detail shop. I mix it 50/50 with water. Use some gloves. Put it on a paper towel and wipe it onto one window at a time. Have a hose ready to rinse it off. Rub it on and work it for about 30 seconds and then rinse it. check it out. If there are still spots do it again. Don't let the cleaner sit on the glass too long or it may dull out the glass. Don't do it in the sun. Do a small spot first and see how it works. Eastwood also sells a glass polishing kit that uses cerium oxide and a small polishing pad you mount on a drill.

#7 ·
I do windshield repair and I also buff scratches. I often get calls to remove acid rain spots from glass. Most times the car has been parked where a sprinkler sprays the car and the beads of water act as little magnifying glasses in the sun and bake spots into the glass. You have to be real careful but I use white wall cleaner that I get from a detail shop. I mix it 50/50 with water. Use some gloves. Put it on a paper towel and wipe it onto one window at a time. Have a hose ready to rinse it off. Rub it on and work it for about 30 seconds and then rinse it. check it out. If there are still spots do it again. Don't let the cleaner sit on the glass too long or it may dull out the glass. Don't do it in the sun. Do a small spot first and see how it works. Eastwood also sells a glass polishing kit that uses cerium oxide and a small polishing pad you mount on a drill.

#8 ·
At the risk of sounding stupid, here goes: I once saw a body shop using steel wool. It gets stuff off quickly, and doesn't scratch the glass. I have used it for bugs and such, with good results. But your mileage may vary. Test it on you wife's compact mirror first.

#9 ·
DONT USE STEEL WOOL!!! It does scratch glass and plastic. I got this suggestion from someone and boy was I sorry. Fine scratches all over my windshield especially noticable from the inside when driving on sunny days.

#11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them all but none of them worked. The CLR, Tire bleach and some professional cleaner. The olny thing so far was a razor blade and alot of scraping. It took about five minutes to do one inch. I'm still looking for that miracle product. This build up looks like hard water deposits like a bathroom tub. i thought the CLR would work, but it din't even dent it. Thanks again.

#12 ·
I used paint thinner, using newspaper to wipe it on and off on my windows and it has worked very well. I then finised with a glass cleaner. Use some gloves that will protect your hands. I had spots like your talking about but they are not very bad I also used the razor blade a little,keep it clean and the widow wett with thinner to aid in not getting scratches in the glass.

------------------
CRUISER

#14 ·
An old family recipe Grandma swears by is to use vinegar to get rid of water spots and hard water deposits...never had much luck myself. Be sure you don't spill any inside the car!!

BC

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.