Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted plenty of questions asking about various parts for my 74 Monte. Having a very tight budget, I am just trying to get some info for when I CAN afford it. It's a stock 350 from 1974. Only modification is headers (which got rid of stock A.I.R. pump and system.) I have 2:73 gears and an open diff. These are the things I want for sure: 1.Carb 2.Intake 3.Cam 4.gears and posi 5.convertor I was planning on Edelbrock Performer Intake with 600c.f.m. matching performer carb. Also a Comp Cams XE-268H cam (around 1500-5000 range) and a tourque convertor with around 2100 stall speed. Gears and posi with around 3:73's nothing bigger. Is this a good combo? I just want a whole system that will work well together and give some power, nothing huge or radical. Keep in mind, this is NOT a race car or even a FAST car, I just want a little power!

[This message has been edited by Louman454 (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
514 Posts
i cant really help with the motor but i have been hearing great things about the performance of the powertrax no slip unit, it multiplys torque to the no drive wheel but some else im sure could explain it better than i am and its cheaper than doing gears and a whole new differential…

·
Registered
834 Posts
The locker is just a locker, makes both wheels spin the same speed. Still won't help with the no bottom end situation the 2.73's are creating.

What you have listed sounds pretty good to me for a street car, might even consider only going with 3.55's if it will get lots of street miles.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Salad and vegetables are what food eat!"
My Page

·
Registered
514 Posts
good point on the gear try looking around for a set of 202 heads and match a cam with some lifters, as far as manifolds are concerned i like the victor and super victor juniors but im sure that someone will argue with me, and as far as a cam goes thats up to you how crazy do you wanna go? Race, street, cruise that is up to you but i would say that you probably couldn't go wrong with have the 202's for what ever you decide to do, and gandal is right 355 is good for cruising and it will help for the get up and go…

·
Registered
982 Posts
Lou that is the exact cam I was thinking of the other day.

Sounds like a winner of a combo...with 3.73 ought to put you in the very low-mid 15's. Respectable for a big ass car!

------------------
"Kickin ass on the wild side"

**Dave Armstrong**
'67 Chevelle
12.45 @ 107 mph. 1.73(best) 60ft
SOON TO BE 454 BSE!!!
'95 Firebird Formula LT1(2FST4LOV)
14.0 @ 97mph daily driver
The Burnout
The Launch
The MAN!!!(the guy in the black shirt)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your right 406, I am going to argue with ya
j/k
I think a performer would be a great choice for what you wana do. you probably got some pretty nasty heads on a 74....I have no clue what they might be but I wouldnt get to hung up on 2.02 heads, a 1.94" valve would do ya mint if you were looking for a decent pair from the boneyard and they will probably be easier and cheaper to find. Whats your thoughts on a head swap? you can get sr torquers for like 400 bucks assembled or find decent stock heads and maybe have some work done? Good luck with your cruiser
But if ya got a tight budget gears will probably give you the most seat of your pants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.