Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since going auto to 5speed, I have noticed that I can deliver power to the rear wheels in sufficient quantity to make them really hop. It's annoying and can't be great for the car. So I am going to get the UMI lower brackets and their instant center changing brackets. I already have Eddy uppers.

I will never go to the drag strip. I will never auto-cross. I am just wondering if a rear sway bar is something that everyone would want. I have the stock 1" front with rubber bushing connector links, and the car body rolls pretty significantly as is in normal driving.

Do I want a rear sway bar? If I put the lowers in the bottom hole, will the swaybar hang hideously low below the differential. I have seen the pics on the UMI site, but they just don't give me a feel for what is really going on.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
the bar will hang low, but if you want less body roll you need either higher rate springs or a sway bar. i would calculate your IC before you change it. you may have too short of an ic which is causing the tires to "hit" too hard and causing wheel hop. the ic depends on a lot of things, but one major factor is the ride height.

·
Vendor
1,215 Posts
Hello,

The sway bar will hang low, correct... we would then recommend a lift bar set-up which is a set of our brackets and boxed control arms with angle sway bar holes. Please take a look at the link below and let me know if you have any questions.

www.umiperformance.com/4022

Thank you!
Ryan

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
John De Loran didn't like them on his 69-72 Grand Prix or the GTO.. He wanted to use longer rubber jounce bumpers to keep the cars body from going further. They didn't come with el Caminos either and they both use the same heavy duty frame..

On my 69 elco I just have a big Hellwig #55703 sway bar up front and that's it.. I also have tall modified bumpers in the rear..

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I installed a one inch UMI rear sway bar today on my 70 El Camino where I had no rear bar at all before today. That bar makes an enormous difference in turns and its like driving a different vehicle.

I have a UMI 1.25 inch bar that will go on the front in a few days and if I had to quit now, I'd be very happy with what the rear bar gives me. But my 7/8ths inch front bar will soon be gone and I wonder how the 1.25 inch bar could make it any better.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts