Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys have pulled out the extra wires from under the hood? I'm SO sick of looking at all of them, it looks terrible. I really only need lights, HEI, and starter wires. I have no AC or heater (anymore). I'd like to get down to the bare necessities, but I dont want to just clip. Whats the best way to do this? I see many guys at shows with hardly any visible wires showing under the hood, this is what I want to achieve.

Also, I need to test whether or not I'm getting a full 14.4 volts to the distributor because I switched to an HEI. Where is this infamous resistor that I've read about located? I've been having some higher (4000+) rpm misfires and I believe this may be the cause.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The resistor wire is between the bulkhead connector and the coil (+) connection. The points are tied to the coil (-) terminal. When the points close, voltage drops on coil (+) because the resistor wire and the coil primary resistance form a voltage divider.
In other words, don't just disconnect the coil (+) wire and measure it. You will see 12 volts. Resistor wire usually has a cloth covering on it and looks different than copper wire but sometimes hard to tell.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
What I did was to use tie wraps to tidy up wires that aren't being used and tucked some of them into the wire gutter. I would avoid cutting anything because you never know what you or someone else might want to do later.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Go to the home center (Lowes, Homedepot, or electric supply company) and get some of that friction tape. It looks just like that stuff that GM used when they built my car. It will make them just disappear. Regular black electric tape will come off. Stuff worked for me.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
If you find wires that aren't used at all and you trace them all the way back to the fuse block you can remove them from the fuse block easily. If you take the engine side of the fuse block off you will find male spade type terminals. They have a one way catch on them so you can push them in, but can't take them out. If you squeeze the terminals with a pair of needle nose pliers across the width of the terminal you can carefully pull them out of the fuse block. And then you would have to seal up the hole that you just created.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts