Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You have to remove the housing from the dash. To do this, you must remove the dash pad and then remove the housing from the top. It's a little tedious because the screws will be hard to get at. And the speedo cable can be difficult to remove as well. And you have to unplug the electrical connectors from the housing, and they aren't the easiest to remove either. If it sounds hard, it is.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Chaos,

I recently cleaned the plastic lens on my 69. After the instrument cluster is removed from the dash you’ll notice that the clear plastic lens is welded to the instrument panel at each post. I removed these welds with a Dremmel tool with a cut off blade. You can use any type of plastic polish. If the lens has minor scratches these can be removed with a polishing kit that can be purchased at any good hobby shop or at Micro Mark http://www.micromark.com/. After the lens has been cleaned you can reattach the lens with five minute epoxy.

Good luck,
Bubba

------------------
ACES member #04788
Maryland Chevelle Club member #075
Have you ever noticed that those instruments designed to detect intelligent life in the universe are all pointed AWAY from Earth???
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/Bubbas396.jpg

·
Registered
392 Posts
take it up to that 200 mph you have on that speedometer should blow that dust right out.
good luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine was screwed together with the screws that are in the top front metal brace that runs along the dash. Just undo the screws that hold the cluster the the face and remove the front screws, then just (hold your breath) spred the two pieces apart enough to slide the cover out.

Don't even attempt it if you're fat fingered.

It's hard, and the first car I tried this on I busted all kinds of things off. Be carefull, take things off slowly, and wiggle a lot of things to see where they are attached before trying to just "rip it off".

------------------
Tommy B.
71-72 Malibu
"I'm high all right, but on the real stuff
High octane gasoline
A clean windshield
And a shoe shine"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts