Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone every visited German and visited on of those castles they have over there?

I was interested in the one used in the old war movie, "Where Eagles Dare." Apparently there are alot castles over there!

Anyone every visited any?

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
I did see a few on some tours when I was stationed there in the 80's. Pretty awsome stuff along the Rhine river. I was also there for a small town's 650th birthday along with many other celebrations ;) It is a great place to visit/tour IMO. I was there in 2k4 for some work stuff (Holland) and already would like to go back again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i drove thru germany about 20 years ago .me and my brothers counted over 8o castles in various states of decay.Some were amazing ,others were piles of rumble.Just about every hill or mountain has a castle on top.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was there in the early '90's with my uncle who was stationed there and he took us to dozens of castles, it was really interesting. I have half a dozen photo albums of pic we took while there. Lot of history.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was stationed in Germany for 5 years and even brought back a fiancee, so I would be happy to help you put together a customized itinerary if you could give me some details. Neuschwanstein is the most famous castle in the world and is the one Disney used as a model for The Magic Kingdom. I've only seen it from the air, though. I lived right outside Rothenburg and used to ride motorcycles out there quite often. The city is really neat and there is a fantastic restaurant there that specializes in game animals. Best venison I ever ate. PM me if interested (that goes for anyone traveling to Europe)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i proposed to my wife at heidelburg castle. i was stationed there 3 times. 3 years each time, total 9 years.. i would love to visit again. i miss german food and REAL german beer. we used to drag race on the air bases there.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
i proposed to my wife at heidelburg castle. i was stationed there 3 times. 3 years each time, total 9 years.. i would love to visit again. i miss german food and REAL german beer. we used to drag race on the air bases there.
http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~doron/heidelberg.JPG
Heidelberg was my favorite. Was there in 82,83, and 87 if I remember correctly. Parents traveled a lot, and took me with when I was a kid. I remember a 200,000 plus leter wine barrell.

I liked Neuschwanstein a lot because it was really well-kept. Also, it was the castle they used to design Cinderella's castle in Disney.

Do a search (probably mis-spelled) for Rothenburg, Wurzburg, Salzburg, and more.

or go here:
http://www.castles.org/

There's also a lot of really cool castles in France too. Most have tours for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You have castles (fortress) and you have palaces, and they are diffrent. What they have in common is that they are everywhere, especially along the rivers. They range from a pile of rocks to fully restored. (Just like cars) With the internet and good travel agents you should be able to find what you are looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts