Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generator light stay on when ignition is off. Light will go off when I unplug two wire from alternator. Light will also go off when I unplug regulator plug.

Readings on External Regulator:

KOEO
F terminal 0.23
#2 white wire = 0.01
#3 red wire = 12.45
#4 brn wire = 0.07

KOER
F terminal 10.3
#2 white wire = 0.65
#3 red wire = 12.6
#4 brn wire = 10.3

Not sure if it is the regulator or alternator that is bad?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
KOER #2 white wire = 0.65
I'd have the altenator tested. This voltage from the alternator is way too low.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea what would cause the light to stay on. I could understand if the voltage was low while the engine was running, but when I turn the key off the light still stays on.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Isn't that usually caused by a bad diode trio inside the alt?
Not an auto electrical wizz by far, just something I've heard before.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had that happen befor on mine it stayed on though pretty dim, had a bad regulator.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had Alternator tested and was bad. Charging fine now. Have another questions about the regulator. Other than the four posts on the side of the regulator there is another single post at the bottom. I thought this was the ground, but when I hookup a ground wire to this post, the voltage drops. Any idea what the other post at the botton of the regulator is used for?

thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There's a small terminal for a capacitor. Keeps the circuit a little more "quiet" and helps stop things like buzzing in the radio speakers.
The regulator case should be grounded. If it's mounted on rubber wellnuts, it needs a small ground strap from the case to the radiator core support.
Checked the white wire again? Can be measured on the alternator connector. Gone up to maybe 4 volts?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will check the voltage when I get home. I now remember a capacitor there before I took everything apart, most have forgotten all about it.

Can you still get them from most parts stores? The regulator case is properly grounded, I made sure of that.

Should you have a ground running from the back of the alternator, or does the connection to the brackets give you enough ground?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You may have a hard time finding that capacitor. Has a slip on connector attached to it. The stores don't have many requests for these but you can try.
Don't need a separate ground to the alternator if it is grounded well through its mounting bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts