Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i bought my chevelle the generator light has been on, has been to the shop many times but has never changed, anyone that can help?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Your shop can't fix it? Figures.
What year? Doesn't matter much but the wiring is a little different between the years. Does the car still have the external regulator attached to the radiator support? All the original wiring still there? If so:
1, Pull the connector off the voltage regulator.
2, Measure the brown wire, with a meter to a good ground. You should not read any voltage.
3, Turn the key on. Again measure the brown wire to a good ground. You should now have 12 volts on it.
4, Turn the key off. Replace the voltage regulator connector and remove the small connector on the alternator.
5, Measure the blue wire, with a meter to a good ground. You should not read any voltage.
6, Turn the key on. Again measure the blue wire to a good ground. You should now have 12 volts on it.
7, Turn the key off. Replace the alternator connector. Start the car and again measure the blue wire to ground. You should again have 12 volts on it.
Post back with the findings after you see what's happening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot man, i havent gotten around to fixing it yet, im looking for something to measure it with. you know anything about the wiring having to do with the backup lights?, mine dont come on at all when its in reverse, i had a shifter on the column and i put a B & M in the floor.

thanks for your time

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
As far as a meter to measure things, Harbor Freight carries some meters for under ten bucks. Think they are opening stores in your area. If not, Home Depot or Radio Shack. www.harborfreight.com
There was a connector, on your original column, that ran the reverse lights. It went to the top lower part of the column. Two wires in it, a pink and a green. Is that connector floating around under the dash? It used to go to the neutral safety/reverse light switch on the automatic column. I can't see but maybe it's not hooked up to anything when you put the B & M in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts